Thread: My first milled parts and milling lubricant questions

My first milled parts and milling lubricant questions

So we finally got our mill up and running after it was damaged in shipping. I have been doing training sessions with the company who made it and ran a few parts. They have ran pretty successfully after a few minor tweaks to the code. Anyway, we will be milling aluminum extrusion almost exclusively. Previously when we manually milled stuff we used something called AnchorLube http://anchorlube.com/anchorlube.html)Problem is, if we use it in a spray bottle it clogs the bottle. Sadly, my request for a flood/mist type system was denied on the original purchase because they thought it was unnecessary. So, anyone have suggestions for a spray bottle friendly lube that works well with aluminum?

Also, this is the first part I programmed and ran on the CNC mill (not the first attempt however, took about 2-3 attempts to straighten out some weirdness in the code VisualMill was producing)

1146728_10101211361448955_247097309_n.jpg

21660_10101211361443965_1593291549_n.jpg

21660_10101211361443965_1593291549_n.jpg

And yes, that wierd gash on the third picture is not meant to be there. We fixed that too, the zero command for a tool change was causing the tool to go plowing through the part unintentionally. It no longer does that. Also, if anyone is curious this is the machine we got and I am learning to use.

http://www.cncmasters.com/index.php?page=cnc-max

Nifty little thing. I know its not big iron like Doc loves, but its definitely a good way to get broken in.

A very simple but good solution for a spray bottle lube is simply WD40.

Buy the big cans and get a few of the manual spray bottles so you always still have one even when someone steals the other

It's cheap, works very well, and has other great uses too.

Insider
    I use WD40 on my knee mill, works great on aluminium, just don't breath the smoke.
    I buy it at Homedepot in the gallon container then apply it with a squirt bottle.

I got through a gallon of WD-40 a week. cudos to the lube gods

hmm. Interesting. I'll have to try that. This stuff we had here is absolutely disgusting.

yea head down to a hardware store and they usually have wd40 in gallon jugs and you can buy spray bottles for it. non of this aresol crap

yep, we'll be trying that monday at work.

Insider
    I use it for tapping also, seems to work OK.