Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music!

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    As an aside, rock in general has always been anti-religious/ sacrilegious. That doesn't exactly fit within my belief system so I tend to avoid bands with particularly dark lyrics or at least pick the songs.
    Been thinking about this statement... I don't necessarily think that the medium drives the topics.

What I'm trying to say, is that sacrilegious topics can be covered in any form of music. I can't possibly deny that there's a history of rock/anything harder and sacrilegious music, but that saying all rock is anti-religion is incorrect. IMO.

I'm also not here for a religion debate. That said, we had a fantastic christian punkmetalish-whatever you wanna call them play at my highschool years back, I need to find them again. They put on a pretty damn good show.

I'm not too familiar with them, but have you guys heard of Blood Has Been Shed? It's Howard from KSE's project, and they're what you'd call mathcore. Time signatures change, it's extremely technical music. From what I've heard, it's not really for me, just thought I'd bring it up.

Oh! Rob Zombie is always good for a change up, and his little brother's band, Powerman5000.

I'm going to have to break out grooveshark today and start going through some of these artists.

Some of the fringe metal stuff described above wanders through my playlist - Disturbed, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Rob Zombie, etc. - but it's more the passing song than any strong feelings about the genre.

I generally fall into one of three very different music styles at work. If it's a slow day and I don't have any pressing deadlines, I will listen to native tongues-like 80's and 90's jazz rap. So mostly that's:

Digable Planets
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Us3
    Digital Underground
    Early Outkast
    Early Public Enemy
    Beastie Boys
    Queen Latifah

Newer stuff in the same vein would be like Macklemore, Lupe Fiasco, and B.o.b. EDIT: Somehow completely left off the list my love for Eminem.

On days when things just have to get done or I don't want heads popped into my office door, I'll lean more into punk rock. My favorites are:

Offspring
    Rise Against
    Dropkick Murphy's
    Flogging Molly
    Green Day
    Black Flag
    Bad Religion (ironyusa, you'd probably have a really hard time with my music selection man)

The random stuff that falls in between is mostly california rock and seattle sound:

Silversun Pickups is one of my favorites of any genre
    The Head and The Heart
    The Avett Brothers
    The Decemberists
    Plumb
    Lana Del Ray
    Paramore
    Jason Mraz
    Tristan Prettyman
    CSNY
    Beatles
    Paul Simon

I'm sure that seems like it's all over the place, and believe me it has taken months of hammering away at Pandora so it can understand how to move seamlessly from The Choice is Yours to The God Song.

Come to think of it, there's a decent amount of country that strikes my fancy, too. Zac Brown Band lately, Toby Keith, Garth Brooks. I liked Blake Shelton, even before he was on The Voice. Turns out he's funny as well as a decent musician.

Ilo Fererra and Dan Navarro/Lowen & Navarro for an off-beat change of pace once in a while.

you guys talking about br00tle stuff, these shredders always amaze me (wait for the battling guitar section):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jgrCKhxE1s

in reality, i just want to marry this woman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgigpC-xAB8

dem "pipes"
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 04-23-2014 at 11:36 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    Come to think of it, there's a decent amount of country that strikes my fancy, too. Zac Brown Band lately, Toby Keith, Garth Brooks. I liked Blake Shelton, even before he was on The Voice. Turns out he's funny as well as a decent musician.

Ilo Fererra and Dan Navarro/Lowen & Navarro for an off-beat change of pace once in a while.
    As I once told an ex-girlfriend, "Next time you want to put a Navarro record on you'll remind me that between Dan and Dave Navarro, Dave is the one I like to listen to." L&N is no Jane's Addiction, that's for sure.

Stereotrap is the name of the band we had at our school. Also, I like the band Red.

Apparently Stereotrap has more or less fallen off the map.
    Last edited by new ion?; 04-23-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    What I'm trying to say, is that sacrilegious topics can be covered in any form of music. I can't possibly deny that there's a history of rock/anything harder and sacrilegious music, but that saying all rock is anti-religion is incorrect. IMO.
    I'm not saying that rock itself is antireligious anymore, but it's history is undeniably so. ABR, underoath, wolves at the gate, Norma jean, etc. are all Christian bands. It's songs like periphery's "make total destroy" that I avoid. I can appreciate what they do as a band and I'd say I am a fan for the most part... I'm just selective. That's all.

By no means do I use this as a platform for anything... I was just expressing that my preference in music is away from the darker sacrilegious end of rock (due to lyrics NOT the music). Even still I can appreciate the artistry in most. Those types of songs are more prevalent in rock/ metal than any other genre that I'm aware.

Truth be told, I avoid politically charged music for the most part as well. Lamb of God (hits both ends of the spectrum), Serg Tankian, Tom Morello (though I like old Rage Against the Machine), 10 Years (new stuff), etc.

Other bands, not metal I like are:
    Story of the Year - Page avenue album ONLY
    The Used - old stuff
    My Chemical Romance - I like a few songs
    Sugarcult - "Pretty Girl" is just a cool song IMO. They have a good sound.
    Alanis Moressette -"Not the doctor" acoustic was perhaps the best use of metaphoric lyrics and deep meaning.
    Zach Brown Band - Yes, I know... I'm a redneck from Texas. Of course I like a little bit of "Chicken Fried."
    30 Seconds to Mars - I especially like their old stuff.
    Last edited by ironyusa; 04-24-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I'm not saying that rock itself is antireligious anymore, but it's history is undeniably so. ABR, underoath, wolves at the gate, Norma jean, etc. are all Christian bands. It's songs like periphery's "make total destroy" that I avoid. I can appreciate what they do as a band and I'd say I am a fan for the most part... I'm just selective. That's all.

Agreed on all points.

By no means do I use this as a platform for anything... I was just expressing that my preference in music is away from the darker sacrilegious end of rock (due to lyrics NOT the music). Even still I can appreciate the artistry in most. Those types of songs are more prevalent in rock/ metal than any other genre that I'm aware.

Truth be told, I avoid politically charged music for the most part as well. Lamb of God (hits both ends of the spectrum), Serg Tankian, Tom Morello (though I like old Rage Against the Machine), 10 Years (new stuff), etc.

Honestly, I tire of it too. I like the sound of RA + SOAD, but I just can't listen to too much of it because the political-ness. Yes, I get that music is their means of expressing their thoughts, but sometimes I just. don't. care.

Other bands, not metal I like are:
    Story of the Year - Page avenue album ONLY
    The Used - old stuff
    My Chemical Romance - I like a few songs
    Sugarcult - "Pretty Girl" is just a cool song IMO. They have a good sound.
    Alanis Moressette -"Not the doctor" acoustic was perhaps the best use of metaphoric lyrics and deep meaning.
    Zach Brown Band - Yes, I know... I'm a redneck from Texas. Of course I like a little bit of "Chicken Fried."
    30 Seconds to Mars - I especially like their old stuff.
    You have just reminded me of a lot of music I used to, and need to listen to again!
    My thoughts are in red. I"m not trying to pick on you at all or anything, just conversing!

I tend to listen to an odd assortment of music...not huge into the heavy metal or rap music but it isn't like I cannot find elements in it I like.

Aquabats
    Billy Joel
    Rush
    Queen
    Steve Taylor
    Wierd Al
    Release the Hounds
    Michael Andrews
    Newsboys
    Paul Simon
    Eagles
    Garth Brooks