Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music!

Music!

List your working or daily tunes. I'm totally open to discussion of bands, as long as we keep it civil.

I'm into kind of easier metal I guess... I hate classifying music. I'm terrible at it; it seems super subjective. I'm going to avoid using acronyms for bands in case others wish to look them up...

Anyways, here's some of my favourites:

Killswitch, Bullet for my Valentine, (getting into) A Day to Remember, All that Remains, Stone Sour (HOGB mainly), Five Finger Death Punch, Three Days Grace, Escape the Fate, Avenged Sevenfold, New Medicine, Rise Against, Hell or Highwater, Art of Dying, Hollywood Undead, Silverstein, Axewound, and open to a lot of other stuff.

I like electronic music too, Deadmau5, Skrillex etc. It's not a genre I'm familiar with, but am really open to listening to new stuff.

This is going to be LONG so please forgive me, but I am very into my music and would love the opportunity to exchange favorites in the hopes of maybe discovering new bands I have not heard yet. If you arent into metal, thats cool, I still like classic rock as well.

I would say about 95% of the time if it is a sub 20 year old band and it has clean vocals at all, I will not like it

I like almost exclusively metal, usually the harder stuff, but I do like a few that you listed

Killswitch - Very listenable metal if you are not big into metal. As Daylight Dies is really the only album you need to know about from them. I view them as a sort of gateway band to heavier stuff, at least that is what happened to me.
    All That Remains - The only album is The Fall of Ideals. Its heavier than KSE but was also a stepping stone to heavier sounds personally.
    Escape the Fate - Dying is Your Latest Fashion is the album, its more punk metal, but the writing and impact of each song off that album make it outstanding.

as for my personal bread and butter, a few arent metal but they make my list because they are good, lets do alphabetical order right off itunes, Ill name my favorite albums to save time if you fancy taking a listen on your own time...

The Air I Breathe - Great Faith in Fools, dont think this band is around any more unfortunately but the song Deliverance off of this album is awesome, whole album is sick.
    All Shall Perish - every album, every song, Libertarian metal, this is the only band I regret not getting to see before their lead singer abandoned them, my second favorite band of all time. Second best guitarist in the world IMO (Francesco Artusato)
    Amon Amarth - All albums, ever wanted to feel like a badass viking and headbang, wish granted
    Animals as Leaders - All albums, Tosin Abasi is a literal god of guitar/bass, easily the best player I have ever seen. Watch "CAFO" on youtube if you dont believe me
    As Blood Runs Black - Allegiance, My Fears Have Become Phobias has some of the most infamous double bass in all of metal.
    As I Lay Dying - Pretty much every album, but I am partial to An Ocean Between Us. This band is no longer making music unfortunately, their lead singer is facing jail time for conspiring to have is wife assassinated.
    August Burns Red - Constellations, prior albums are also good
    The Black Dahlia Murder - My absolute favorite band, I own every album, favorite is Everblack though. Very heavy, very dark. Death metal blast beats all day. Saw them in Philadelphia two weeks ago and it was hands down the best show I have ever been to.
    Born of Osiris - Very unique sound, all their albums are great but Tomorrow We Die Alive is great, heavy and electronic mixed in lightly to awesome effect.
    The Browning - Mix of EDM/Metal, I have all their albums, Hypernova is my favorite, love when they show up in the shuffle, probably going to see them live in a couple weeks, cant recommend enough if you are a fan of dubstep/edm and also metal
    Carnifex - Heavy death metal, I have all their albums but their newest, Die Without Hope, is my favorite. Saw them live about a month ago, they were great
    Chelsea Grin - All Albums are great, Vocally ridiculous
    Chiodos - Alls Well That Ends Well, not necessarily metal, fantastic album, softer vocals but very good songs instrumentally.
    The Devil Wears Prada - All albums, this band is sick, Plagues is one of my all time favorite albums.
    The Faceless - All albums, very different sound but still good.
    Fallujah - The Harvest Wombs, great death metal, they're from San Diego I believe.
    Feed Her to the Sharks - All albums, my favorite metalcore band, they are from Australia, waiting for them to head stateside so I can chase them down somewhere.
    Fleshgod Apocalypse - Labyrinth, awesome epic metal, alot of great orchestral work that accentuates their songs very well.
    The HAARP Machine - Disclosure, this band had a very different metal sound, lots of unusual instruments for the genre like piano and sitar. Pleiadian Keys is my favorite song by them.
    Humanity's Last Breath - Humanity's Last Breath (self titled album), Amazingly heavy, chunky, brutal metal, and every song on the album comes with an instrumental counterpart as well.
    Job for a Cowboy (jay fack) - For my money, metal does not get heavier than Entombment of a Machine, off the album Doom. Lots of pig squeals and brutal vocals.
    Make Them Suffer - Neverbloom, this band has the absolute harshest vocals I have ever heard, listen to Maelstrom if you want to hear for your yourself.
    Parkway Drive - Killing With a Smile, and Dead Mans Chest. Another incredible Australian metal band that I thoroughly enjoyed seeing live in philly.
    Rammstein - All albums, amazing German techno metal, I have loved them since I was a wee lad.
    Reflections - All albums, solid and technical metal
    Scary Kids Scaring Kids - Faces, along the same lines as Chiodos, good tunes and softer vocals but they were awesome nonetheless
    The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza - Danza 4:The Alpha-The Omega, another unique sound, hilarious band name that drew me in
    Viel of Maya - Eclipse, djent metal perfection, some of the more technical guitar your likely to hear because Mark Okubo is the man, incredible album, I saw these guys live with Parkway Drive and they were mind blowing. Their bassist was playing a 7 string.
    We Butter the Bread With Butter - Der Tag an dem die Welt unterging, German techno-esqe metal, filthy vocals, lots of breeeeeee (they have a song on one album called breekachu)
    Whitechapel - All albums, great death metal, one of the few death metal bands that has a serious following
    Within the Ruins - All albums, the most technical guitar out of any metal band I have ever heard second only to Animals as Leaders (because Tosin Abasi)

as you can see I am more of a new age metal head than anything, and probably more than some may have thought, but I have my roots in classic rock and appreciate all the great songs/bands of yesteryear, Zeppelin being my all time favorite classic rock band.

I am sure there are others here that enjoy genre's other than metal, but what can I say, Im a machinist, I love metal lol
    Last edited by ElPanda; 04-22-2014 at 08:35 PM.
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

My personal favorites are melodic metalcore, djent and some normal metal. I tend to like complex time signatures, syncopation and other progressive techniques.

That said, bands I love include: (but are in no way limited to)
    August Burns Red - I love every album... Matt Greiner (drummer) is my favorite
    Underoath - I like their progression through all of the albums
    Wolves at the Gate - "Slaves" and "The harvest" are my favorite songs by them
    TesseracT - I like their new album with Ashe as the vocalist. I love the whole altered state album.
    skyeatsairplane - Oddly the vocalist I like the best with this band (Elliot Coleman) was a former vocalist for TesseracT.
    Periphery - I really like the song "scarlet"
    Karnivool - Themata album was the best
    From Autumn to Ashes - For some reason I like the "Holding a wolf by the ears" album. Deth Kult Social Club is obnoxiously addicting.
    Atomship - "The Crash of '47" is a crazy album... odd, but I like it. They have been through like 3 names and are called Watership Down now I think. Check out the song "Day of Daze."
    Flaw - Chris Volz is a psycho, but amazing vocalist. Their songs have depth... "My Letter" is a very emotional song.

Classics like sevendust, in flames, killswitch, it dies today, the word alive are all cool to change it up a bit too.

As an aside, rock in general has always been anti-religious/ sacrilegious. That doesn't exactly fit within my belief system so I tend to avoid bands with particularly dark lyrics or at least pick the songs.
    Last edited by ironyusa; 04-23-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa
    As an aside, rock in general has always been anti-religious/ sacrilegious. That doesn't exactly fit within my belief system so I tend to avoid bands with particularly dark lyrics or at least pick the songs.
    The really dark stuff I just take kind of tongue in cheek. Im also not chained to a religion so anything religious in the writing just kind of passes through me.

There is alot of that in dahlia esspecially lol

Have you heard/ do you like The Agony Scene? I like them. They used to be a solidstate band and now they're on roadrunner. As a general statement, I have liked more solidstate bands than any other label. Some older Norma Jean was interesting.

Here is the main reason I like ABR:

Technique and rhythm >> speed and repetition. Seeing it live is just amazing.
    Last edited by ironyusa; 04-22-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Man, it seems everyone is into metal. I don't know, maybe I'm not listening to the right stuff, but I've just never gotten into it that much. The most I listen to is Rammstein and even that's like once a year. I prefer different stuff, and I guess I'll make a list:
    Neutral milk hotel
    Beirut
    Wavves
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Boards of Canada
    Realpeople
    Noah and the Whale
    Woodkid
    Felly
    and much, much more. List could go on for pages. I love music. Thanks!

I like Metalocalypse.... The whole Kuma's Corner debacle turned me on to Ghost B.C. I really like their stuff. What little metal I've stumbled upon and listened to has all too often paired awesome instrumentals with horrible screaming/shouting/herniating vocals. I can't tolerate that. I'll have to go through what you guys list to see if anything suits me.

Besides that, Primus sucks.

Oh man, Spotify has been worth every penny I've pumped into their coffers.

I have different playlists that I run through depending on mood... but since we're discussing metal I suppose I'll put down what gets play these days when I need some effing metal CAD work done:

Amon Amarth
    Mayhem
    Skeletonwitch
    Dimmu Borgir
    Finntroll
    Korpliklaani (because hilarious folk metal is still metal)
    Slayer (cuz of course)
    The Sword
    -And misc others but usually won't sit through whole albums.

I also get really into Trap lately as many do as a sort of post-dubstep working anthem. I'm not into it ironically, nor by taking the subject matter seriously... just enjoy it for hip-swingin' tempos, solid bass vibes, and a bit of motivational chanting and hi-hats.

I guess another thing I'm digging is sortof phaux 80's synth/electro. You might be familiar with Kavinsky, it's like that, but there's a whole slew of people making similar stuff. tis the kinda music that makes you wanan wear ray bans, fingerless gloves, tight jeans, and cruise LA at night in a Ferrari F40 or at least a M1 Bimmer. It's the kinda stuff that makes you literally want to slaughter everything in sight from Hotline Miami.

Notables:

Lazerhawk
    Powerglove
    Perturbator
    M|O|O|N
    Mitch Murder
    Mogi Grumbles

Then there's straight up indie/alternative hip-hop:

Action Bronson
    Tyler, The Creator
    Danny Brown
    Show You Suck
    Awkwafina
    Das Racist
    -Plus like a bajillion more

Then you get the mashup artists that just throw down everything like a boss:

Girl Talk
    D.Veloped
    Wick-It the Instigator
    The Hood Internet

As for other artists/groups I play pretty often while working, and wholeheartedly support that you all listen to? It's diverse, and in no particular order:

M.I.A.
    Radiohead
    Lana del Rey
    Sophie Ellis Bextor
    Alan Parsons Project
    Talking Heads
    Lorn
    Parralox
    Depeche Mode
    Yelle
    Sneaker Pimps
    Roots Manuva
    Santigold
    Jedi Mind Tricks
    Silversun Pickups
    Chromeo
    The Police
    Little Dragon

Ok... I'll stop cuz this is just silly.

But yeah, I still get bored cuz I can't find enough new material and I spend time hearing the same stuff over and over... so... I keep lookin'
    Last edited by HipboyScott; 04-23-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Tyler, and all of Odd Future for that matter, are great. I've also listened to a bit of APP and like what I hear.

I'm the anomaly here, I suppose. My tastes tend toward Jimmy Buffett, Styx, lots of Jethro Tull lately (rekindling an old friendship there), Billy Joel, CCR, Neil Diamond (I blame my parents for that one), Pink Floyd, Bodeans, Meat Loaf.