Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stella Freak back question

Stella Freak back question

Hey guys,

I am looking at picking up a Stella kit. My question is, does the freak style back have the internal orings that hold the insert in place? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

it does have an oring, but as someone that has shot it both ways, it's a much better system just using the backs that are actually bored to the size you need. if i did it again, i'd have just foregone the freak back and gotten a .680, .685, and .690 and been done with it.

I already have a full set of freak inserts so that was my motivation for just getting the freak back. Simon said "it has an internal o-ring at the back and a chamfer at the front to help center the insert better" in case anyone else was curious.

christhered- Would you care to elaborate on why the normal backs are better than the freak inserts? Are you just talking about the longer control bore and the better alignment from the solid back?

More precise bore sizing, too, but yeah, longer control bore and better alignment are high on the list of benefits to solid-bore backs.

That's what I figured he meant. I've never had a problem with my freak and thought it performed very well.

If its the same performance-wise as my Smart Parts freak barrel Ill be happy. Just trying to get rid of SP and support a great company that makes their products in the U.S.A.

sorry, i only get online at work, so i couldn't answer you. My tests were more than likely flawed, since i've only used the solid back on a cocker, and the freak bored back on my victory w/ vis engine and my vice, but it seemed that with using the same paint, and essentially the same bore, i was breaking more paint, and it didn't come as clean with the freak backs. until now, i've been a huge fan of the eigenbarrels, but i wanted something a little quieter and more flexible, so i gave this a try. I'm really a one piece barrel, non stepped bore kind of guy, but i'm loving the stella, which is my first two piece system since i had a pepper stix kit back in 07.

Yeah, hard to compare the 2 barrels while using them on different markers. I've never had barrel breaks with any barrel kit, just stock barrels so I'm sure this will work great also. I don't know that there would be a huge difference between the standard and freak back. Enough to notice a difference maybe but that's probably about it.

My Stella kit came in today and it looks great! Also the inserts fit this barrel way better than my smart parts back, no wiggle room at all but still easy to insert and remove. I couldn't be happier with it right now. Now I just need to test it out!

We have found quite a tolerance range with inserts both inside and outside. We have a chamfer at the front and you can adjust the holding tension with the rear o-ring. Looser would be an 018 o-ring. Tighter would be a 19mm buna o-ring.

Got to use my new stella Saturday.

The paint was so bad I had to use a .695 insert, some of it was almost pear shaped, but no barrel breaks.

When I got home the apex tip had arrived so I didn't get a chance to try that yet.
    endeavor to persevere.......