Thread: Kryptonite Axe Leak?

Kryptonite Axe Leak?

So I recently got my Axe Kryptonite body in from Hustle, looks amazing, can't wait to play with it. Installed a Violet Series low profile feedneck on there since it seems to be a decent aesthetic match and it is pretty darn low profile.

However, I'm getting a leak from between the body and the air-transfer plate, on the left side of the body where the gasket goes. I can pinpoint within about 1/4 inch where the air seems to mostly be squeaking out along the plate by listening and feeling for the air burst and hearing the pitch change as I move an object across the gap. From that I can sense it is coming from right where the largest radius of the gasket gets very close to the edge of the body.

I've already swapped gaskets with a new one, both leak on the new body, and neither leak on the stock body if I put that back on.

I've swapped all solenoid and transfer-tube o-rings, to make sure its not from below the transfer plate... no problems from any of those items.

I can assemble the Axe back to stock configuration and it works as if nothing had changed between us.

So I'm thinking it's something to do with the gasket gland in the Kryptonite body or maybe a tolerance issue which prevents the plate from clamping enough or maybe over-clamping. I've tried gently snugging the plate screws and I've tried torquing them fairly well. I've applied a little rub of grease along the gasket, and I've cleaned it and gone in dry. Nothing solves it.

Anyone run into a similar issue with the Axe, either stock or with the new bodies? Any methods for determining the leak source on the plate? Any fixes that don't involve ad-hoc bubblegum wizardry?

Man thats some bad luck.

Bought mine raw, had it anodised, but they had to strip, bead blast and re-annodize it.

Guess I was lucky.

Simon stands behind his products, I'm sure he will chime in when he sees this thread.

endeavor to persevere.......

Can you look at this gasket area and see anything visually that you would think could cause this? Can you post pictures?

Did you check your room for any gnomes?
    They might be casting a ward on it.

Who let you on here? :P

lol you know, gnomes have been seen around recently.

Lemme go take a few pictures; but I can't see anything to my eye that seems out of place.

Just back from a vacation/friends wedding.

Not seen a leak from that area before. Seems very unusual. I might need to see the body in person to see if I can spot any issue. All of the functional area milling is done by KEE and then we do the cosmetics. It's not unheard of for there to be an issue, but it's pretty darn rare.

We will stand behind it 100%.

You could try loading it up with grease and then applying air pressure. Once you take it apart again it would show where the leak is coming from with the grease.

Also a few drops of water on an area that is leaking will help show what is going on and shouldn't cause any issues.

When tightening the transfer plate start by tightening the middle screws first next to the large hole and then do the outer ones. When it's tight and you look at it from outside does the plate look flat to the body?

Is it possibly leaking from that little vent hole that's right behind the rear-most o-ring around the bolt guide endcap? The rear-most air port when looking at the bottom of the marker body.
    I know there's a corresponding hole in the transfer plate underneath so the air should leak down into the frame instead of out the side of the body, but the cause of that leak would be a simple o-ring so it'd be nice if it were the case!