Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Death of CO2 tanks on the horizon?

Availability more than anything else. The older companies have not innovated or come up with better products(i love my old red top crossfire hp regs), so the market was bare on what was new and what you can get. Now with Ninja, they filled the market not with being the overall best product getting out, but having the only product on the secondary market. Though the ability to cater to specific pressures for players are nice, its just that there is no competition.

Quote Originally Posted by morolen View Post
    Yeah, Ninja products are just better.
    It also has to do with their customer service. I had an issue with a reg swap and hydro with them before Living Legends. I got in touch with Ray and he made it right immediately. I was able to speak with him personally at LL7 and thank him for his help.

I also wanted to get a new bonnet for one of my regs (that their team ended up dinging but I wasn't going to point fingers) and he tossed me one for free.

Good customer service and excellent products go a long way to a positive image in the marketplace. (Having everything made in the USA helps too.)

Monocultures are bad, and I hate to see lack of competition with HPA, but after the customer service I have received from Ninja it just would not occur to me to get a tank from anyone else. Well, maybe a tank size they do not make, but it would be a Ninja regulator on it.

Since we switched to HPA on our rentals, the markers and customers are a lot happier.
    They just run now and very seldom need serious service whereas on CO2, they would eat an oring or malfunction almost every weekend.
    It does get hot here in Texas and the temp swing may start at 70s in the morning and be 100 shortly after noon....for safety, that's a lot of chrono adjustments for rentals.
    Once we started using HPA, they run and run and only need fine adjustments at the chrono first thing in the morning when they go out and maintain that speed quite well all playday.

We have been using 48/3k PMI tanks our rental fleet for over 5 years...I know because the first 2 dozen just came up for rehydro.
    They usually run for the full 5 years without problems but right after 5 years, the UR orings start to turn to mush.
    You can easily tell as the pressure goes up and the rental BTs start to sputter.
    Change to another tank that's working properly and they go right back to running.

I keep a supply of the correct three urethene orings needed for total rebuild and replace all 3 (fill nipple, reg top and reg bottom) and they just work.
    I usually put a deadhead on those tanks and they generally are putting out over 1K or more in some cases before a rebuild.

I have thought about dropping CO2 completely but hosting Viper and other big games makes that almost impossible.
    I use a pump for CO2 so don't waste as much as chill and fill as we weigh the tanks when they come in, pump in approximately the right amount and weigh again.
    Once you have the pump input pressure setup, they will throw pretty consistent fills but this pressure will change slightly as the outside (and tank) temperatures change.

As for Ninja domination in the reg arena, a lot of this is driven by the tourney markers that run on sub 200 PSI and use tiny metric orings that tend to blow out at higher pressures.
    There is some "magic" regulator input/output ratio that works best for consistency that's around 2 to 1 for fixed pressure regs.
    The Ninja regs just happen to be adjustable and they include instructions on how to adjust them and what shims to use.
    You can and I have done similar to PMI regs to drive Bob Long markers that run sub 200 PSI.
    The difference in shot count between a 750 output tank and a 400 output tank can be considerable on one of these markers.

Also, Ninja was one of the first to sell just a regulator by itself.
    They were/are the only manufacturers that condone user repair/adjustment and give instructions with each reg on how to do so.
    The ONLY problem I see is the need to educate folks on what lube to use and WHAT NOT TO USE for reg rebuild.
    Using oil on a reg rebuild can make for a interesting time at minimum and a not-so-nice boom at worst.
    The worst I have seen personally was a very hot jet engine flame coming out of a fill nipple that blistered the forearm of a user pretty well years ago.
    He had a leaking fill nipple and put oil in the nipple then hooked it up to the fill station.
    When he unhooked it, it looked like a small high velocity propane torch coming out of the nipple for a split second.
    Luckily, it went out quickly and just leaked out the rest of the air.

And I can echo what everyone else said: Ninja service is stellar.
    Last edited by Vern1; 09-01-2014 at 10:53 AM.

I see every co2 canister but the disposable ones going
    The disposable ones are best for pistols and pump guns

Insider
    I offered CO2 at my field the first year of operation...I think I had about 20-25 fills the entire season. It cost me about $475 -$500 in a years worth of tank rental fees....Definatly a waste.
    At the same time all my rentals were HPA. So the demand for CO2 from myself was virtually nothing but, I thought that CO2 was still around enough to offer it to the walk ons etc...yup, I was wrong.

I suppose CO2 still has its place... 12grams, magfeed games (lots of fun on a CQC field), etc... but as a constant air source for fields, id agree that its dying out.

Consistency: HPA provides more stable and consistent air pressure, leading to more reliable shots and better accuracy for players.
    Refilling options: HPA tanks can be refilled at many paintball and airsoft facilities, scuba shops, and even some sporting goods stores, making it more convenient for players to get air. I had problems when trying to get my driver's license, didn't eat, didn't sleep, was studying for my test and didn't pass... Then I spit it all out and just bought a https://fairyid.com/product/hawaii-fake-id/ stress free driver's license. Performance: HPA systems often offer better performance for markers, especially in high-end tournament-level paintball, where players demand precision and consistency. Safety: HPA tanks have built-in pressure regulators, making them safer to use, handle, and transport.
    Equipment compatibility: Many newer paintball markers are designed to use HPA, and while some markers can still use CO2, HPA is generally considered the preferred option.
    Last edited by wijim; 07-29-2023 at 12:53 PM.