Thread: Please allow me to Axe a few questions...

Please allow me to Axe a few questions...

Sorry for the title, I couldn't resist :-)

I'm stripping an Axe for anno and am having trouble with a few parts. Specifically with the ball detents, the reg, the bolt guide, trigger, and one PITA screw on the body. I'm trying to have everything anno'ed to match which means sending in all the little bits that I don't want left plain black. The ball detents look like they have a little set screw in the middle? Is that just red locktited in place so that some heat will loosen it up? The reg has that little silver thing with 4 holes in it as seen in the picture. Will the right size spanner wrench unscrew that? Any locktite on it from the factory? How about the pin sticking out of the bolt guide that is used to quick strip the bolt. Is that pressed in? Screwed in? Locktite? The trigger has what looks like 2 bearings. I'll need to press those out from the middle out using that little seam right? Or is it just my eyes playing tricks and there's actually only 1 bearing with a grease groove in the middle of it? Last is the tiny set screw near the top of the trigger frame that holds the front grip on. The bottom one came lose nice and easy, the top one is stripped. Does anyone have an axe specific tip for this particular screw? Otherwise I'll probably to jbweld an allen key in place and let it set up then try to break it lose.

http://imgur.com/iMZVg3U

Link because it's a large picture.

endeavor to persevere.......

Sorry, it was just so easy I couldn't stop my fingers from typing the words. ?

Use a pair of snap ring pliers with small diameter prongs to get the overpressure port out of the reg body. (#5)

A size 14 spanner will get the brass reg pin housing out. (#23)

You'll also need a 3mm nut driver to get the reg piston out of the reg body as well. Grainger sometimes has them, I got mine from Amazon.

Last edited by Dayspring; 09-24-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Here's a TechPB video that will also help.

One thing to keep in mind, your Relay regulator innards may be slightly different than what you see in the video or manual above. On my gun, parts 15 & 17 were all one piece, whereas in the video and manual, they are shown as 2 distinct and separate pieces.

Go Nick! Great info.

With the reg be very delicate when you re-install the reg pin into the piston it's easy to over tighten and strip it (this is the main reason we shied most customers away from doing it).

With the ball detents, I would recommend trying to live with black ball detents... if not then yes that set screw is separate, but yes it is red loctited into place to stop it accidentally coming out.

The trigger is two bearings. They need to be pressed out.

With the front screw feel free to get it out anyway you can. Also while there, you can (maybe even should) step it up a size or two. There is no reason not to make it a larger set screw.

The blow off valve cover with the four holes should come off with a set of snap ring pliers.

I did not realize you had the reg pin threaded into the piston!

SUPER interesting...
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

When I did the body swap, I became pretty adept in taking the Relay apart and putting it back together (I developed a weird leak - ended up being a mis-alignment of the air transfer tube).

Make sure you loctite the reg pin into the piston too (forgot to mention that).