Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: What needs to happen to speedball to keep it relevant?

there honestly isn't much a functional purpose to 8 vs 10 bps. really.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

The way I wrote the rule for an event I'll have coming up (hopefully) is "no assisted or electronic triggers". That eliminates the use of RT's and pneu-triggers as well as electronic triggers.

I'd really like to throw a 10-man woods event at a long-standing area field. Don't know if it's going to happen, the field has deteriorated so much.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    The way I wrote the rule for an event I'll have coming up (hopefully) is "no assisted or electronic triggers". That eliminates the use of RT's and pneu-triggers as well as electronic triggers.

I'd really like to throw a 10-man woods event at a long-standing area field. Don't know if it's going to happen, the field has deteriorated so much.
    10-MAN.... Man.. I really miss those days...

gonna throw this out there ....

the technology ... is not what is killing tournament speedball.

yeah, i said it. sorry, i love mech and pump more than anyone, but going back to that, actually, doesn't solve tournament paintball's problem.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I would argue requiring mech markers ends up excluding a lot of new players.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

money

paintball is an expensive hobby

the economy tanking over the last decade has only highlighted how brutal this sport is on expendable income

if paintballs were as cheap as airsoft pellets this sport would be in much better health attendance wise

not saying I like airsoft by any means but the reduced cost of feeding the gun/playing has always been one major upside

Ryan was getting at this, but if you can make the games faster-paced (read: people don't spend tons of time behind bunkers just lobbing paint across the field), you reduce paint costs and arguably make for a more exciting game.

The way to do this is to incentivise speed in the way points are awarded.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 10-23-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Ryan was getting at this, but if you can make the games faster-paced (read: people don't spend tons of time behind bunkers just lobbing paint across the field), you reduce paint costs and arguably make for a more exciting game.

I think you could argue that the "Race to" format change had hurt tournaments. In typical xball you just had to worry about time running out, rather than points. Could score as fast or add slow as you wanted, put terrified you scored more than the other team. The Race format promotes longer points since you have a very limited number of points that you can allow before you can't win. In X-ball, you could be down by infunite points, provided ypu could score infinite points + 1 with the time left.

I think a timed X-ball style match (15 min?) with point multipliers based on time to score for very fast points (ie 30sec point= 2 points, 15 sec = 3, etc) could work. Teams either move down the field quickly and earn more points, or get chopped up and have a much larger margin to make up. Although you could still see slow points being played once the multiplier time had elapsed.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post

no, already xball is too fast. refs can't keep up. and players can't keep up (thus the need for coaching). and if neither of them can keep up, then spectators have no hope of actually keeping up.

the slow x ball points in the middle ... are usually where the best actual paintball is played.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    no, already xball is too fast. refs can't keep up. and players can't keep up (thus the need for coaching).
    Eliminate the flag altogether so all refs have to pay attention to is eliminations. I don't see how players being unable to keep up mandates coaching, that just makes it even faster.

There's no way a point of x-ball is faster or more confusing than a down in football, that seems like an artificial problem.