Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What needs to happen to speedball to keep it relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    But only to a very short extent in PSP.

If you're capped at 12.5 bps and the games are only 3-5 minutes long, it doesn't matter how big your budget is. There is a hard constraint on how much paint you can shoot.

I initially made no comparison to xball, you're the one who brought it up.

My original comment is to use time to incentivise movement - the extent of that incentivisation is up for tuning.

Stop trolling.
    you are talking about giving even more incentive than xball currently does, to closing a game quickly.

this is a foolish idea.

- - - Updated - - -

MAO was shit to watch, and from those who played it boring and expensive to play.
    yeah because it was actual paintball, not a 4 minute der der video.

THATS MY POINT

you see actual paintball, is not just big moves. big moves, are actually a rarity in paintball, or should be. actually paintball is reading the defense, is gunfighting, is shadowing, is bumping rather than running corner to corner. all this takes time. all of it looks like shit in a der der video, but its actually what paintball is. its not a 4 minute youtube video, is a game of paintball.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 10-23-2014 at 05:18 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I know it's hard, but stop yourself and read for three seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    you are talking about giving even more incentive than xball currently does,
    I'm talking about giving more incentive than standard PSP rules.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

I know it's hard, but stop yourself and read for three seconds.

I'm talking about giving more incentive than standard PSP rules.
    bingo

so the game that is already too fast for players to keep track of, for refs to police, and for fans to watch ... you are going to try and add extra incentive to make it faster ....

i rest my case.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    so the game that is already too fast for players to keep track of, for refs to police, and for fans to watch ... you are going to try and add extra incentive to make it faster ....

i rest my case.
    You are the only person I've encountered who has expressed standard PSP is too fast for fans to watch.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Wayne
    On the issue of rankings:

I started playing competetive pinball late last year. Every event can (and if they are put on the calendar 30 days before it takes place it does) count towards your ranking. There are also two types of rankings. There is the international ranking, and in the US there is a state ranking. Anything you do gets you points towards your intl ranking, but if I do an event in Vegas, it only counts towards my NV ranking, not my AZ one. At the end of the year, the top 16 players in each state compete in a tournament. The winner of that gets into the national tournament, so only one from each state. Other countries have similar things. I know Canada have one for each province.

At any given time, I can find out where I rank in the world and in any state I've played in.

I think a system like that, but for teams, would be great for the basis of a feeder system. In pinball, you can't win one event and make it to state, at least in most states. Some have few enough events that you can. But, that means that those areas will attract more travelers because they know that the local pool is large enough to field enough players for state, but a good player can come in and do well in a few events and qualify for state. When the state tournaments happen, they happen on the same day, so you can only go to one, no matter how many you may qualify for.

It pays to do as many in-state events as possible and to do as well as I can. But, there are players who are better than me who have done fewer events and are still ranked higher. That's because they finished higher and so they got more points for that event. I'm really enjoying it and as the end of the year approaches there is a lot of excitement/drama for those on the bubble. I don't know if I will get in this year, but that's my goal for next year. If I do get in, I don't expect to win, but I'm going to go at it like I can, because honestly, I can.

Just what percentage of weekend paintball players do you think would keep playing if all they were allowed to play was speedball ?

Where is the lions share of money spent in paintball, by what kind of players, weekend woodsballers or speedball wannabees ?

Speedball is long past being relevant to anyone not "in" the industry, and thats where bulk of the paintball masses are.

endeavor to persevere.......

Insider
    I'd posit that's because the codified version of speedball sucks way more than it should

Played my way to Div1, and 100% it's the cost. People start finding partners, having kids and aspiring to work more than industry related odd jobs, all of which in turn take up time and eat up money. Sponsorship dollars are dead, and the big leagues are basically trying to soak up as much money as possible before the writing on the wall catches up.

Travel costs are way too high for most young adults, as is paint and entry to follow a circuit. Small time local and regional events seem fine as far as population go, but yeah, national events simply cost too much and you get literally nothing back other than a cheap trophy/placard.

You are the only person I've encountered who has expressed standard PSP is too fast for fans to watch.
    why do you think no one watches besides people who know the game very well?

because it is unwatchable to anyone else.

remember, we are a small, very small, slice of paintball, and an even smaller slice of the world at large. we think we have a product to sell, but paintball on TV fails every single time ... why is that?

because it is unwatchable.

I have said this many times about the watchablilty(is that a word) and its something we have tried to crack very very often. One of the real hurdles to watchability is that there is no center of action, no ball/puck/widget/whatever. The action can happen anywhere on the field at any time, so where do you point the camera for a live broadcast? Slowing the game down will not change that and I have MUCH love for Darren and the guys at SMP, they do a kick ass job at something that is ridiculously tough, live cutting a thing like that.

From a players perspective, it is ludicrously expensive. From the Media perspective very hard to get accurate coverage of and from the view perspective, tough to watch due to the prior issue. The best thing we have come up with so far is our show The Weekender, which should get even better in the next few weeks as I get better on the Steadicam, but still, it takes 2 gopros, a drone and a separate camera op to follow a single person and I still feel the damn thing is tough to follow.
    H+
    Hustle Paintball Video Goon