Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What needs to happen to speedball to keep it relevant?

Some of us in the US, don't have guns(though would like to own a few-just can't afford them), don't need to have one strapped on at all times, nor go to the places/enter any place were i would feel the need to be armed at all times. Whether its NJ which has some strict gun laws(Simon can attest to), or the simple fact that not once in my 38 years have i ever been some place where i said,"damn, i wish i had a gun".

I have no problem with guns, no problem with hunting, nor target shooting. What i do not agree with is the assumption that we Americans are all gun nuts or wish to be armed. So please do not make broad strokes with your words, ae Alan shouldn't as well.

And, you can be armed to the teeth, but if you aren't with your guns, you only arm the people who you try to keep out. A firearm is only as good as if you are there to use it. They do nothing to stop the people froming coming after you if you give them a reason.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by pote View Post
    Did you see the video of the Muslims beheading people on the streets of London and everyone was powerless to stop them because guns are bad and no one should have them in London.....that was a couple of dudes with knives...
    That kind validation for guns doesn't really work. You fail to consider that if guns were more readily available then there's a good possibility that also the perpetrators could have gotten guns and caused much more carnage before being stopped.

Looking at the statistics would argue that Britain is doing much better in preventing homicides than USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Some of us in the US, don't have guns(though would like to own a few-just can't afford them), don't need to have one strapped on at all times, nor go to the places/enter any place were i would feel the need to be armed at all times. Whether its NJ which has some strict gun laws(Simon can attest to), or the simple fact that not once in my 38 years have i ever been some place where i said,"damn, i wish i had a gun".

I have no problem with guns, no problem with hunting, nor target shooting. What i do not agree with is the assumption that we Americans are all gun nuts or wish to be armed. So please do not make broad strokes with your words, ae Alan shouldn't as well.
    Good points. I guess what mostly baffles us foreigners is that we can't really see any need for carrying guns for personal protection, and would probably feel less safe if "everyone" were to carry one.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    No hate here.

If you are happy living where you are unarmed and defenseless, well I guess somebody has to do it.

Plenty of police state areas in the US too.

Glad to be in the state with the highest number of concealed weapons permits.

As I stated before I am aware the we have police state areas here too Doug.

But I am happy to say at least half of the country is armed.

endeavor to persevere.......

I'd heard that high gun ownership tends to lead to more straight homicides, but lower violent crime. Not sure if those stats still hold.
    https://www.instagram.com/vijil/
    I draw guns and spaceships and bunnies

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by vijil View Post
    I'd heard that high gun ownership tends to lead to more straight homicides, but lower violent crime. Not sure if those stats still hold.
    As I understand it, the differences in how violent crimes are reported and what is considered a violent crime differ so much from country to country that it can't be reliably compared.

Based on this article and few others that say basically the same. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...her-violent-c/

So it might be true (or not), but is hard to actually quantify.

Quote Originally Posted by vijil View Post
    So I've seen a few comments lately that suggest folks think speedball - or at least speedball as it stands - is fading into obscurity.
    And yet, the player transfer announcement "Keith Brown leaves Damage for Impact" drove 650 people to the news forums tonight.

That's more than most product announcements get.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTheWookie View Post
    Jesus, I haven't seen that in forever. I need to find the full video.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    And yet, the player transfer announcement "Keith Brown leaves Damage for Impact" drove 650 people to the news forums tonight.

That's more than most product announcements get.
    Until today I didn't know who he even is. Ask me a week from now and I probably won't then either.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTheWookie View Post
    the perfect response. hahahahahahahahahahaha

gun nuts who bring it up every five seconds are the same as in your face Christians. i don't really have a problem with gun ownership, nor with the belief in god, but you actually are hurting your cause's status to trumpet around in every single fucking thread, that you carry a gun everywhere you go. no it does not impress people. no it does not make you safer (statistical fact). it makes you look like you have a hard time pleasing your wife.

sorry, its just true.

<- gun owner
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 10-20-2014 at 10:51 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I'd love to see the gun ownership discussion spin off into its own thread. I'll refrain from further derailing the speedball discussion for now.

So, Houston Heat canned a bunch of people including Slowiak and the Distortion guys. Edmonton Impact got rid of Danny Park, and I imagine that's to make room for Busiere and Brown. John pushed the rumor that Heat is waiting for Art Chaos to fold back to Europe and pickup all of the russians again.

One thing I haven't heard a lot about is what impact the reduction of bps down to 10.something did for this season. I didn't see a drop off in play - arguably some of the tournaments like World Cup were very aggressive. Could we see a further reduction in velocity, and would that be a good thing? Personally, I'm all for sub-11bps to work its way all through the speedball leagues.

...aaand the news threads hit at least 745 on that announcement.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon