Page 165 of 418 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Well I have some non vague news - I started my new job last Monday. I have a great team and while the job I'm doing doesn't seem to be exactly what I thought it was, I'm still really excited.

Unfortunately, I have signed an NDA about my work (obviously) so I can't directly say what I'm working on, but I can say that GM has announced a system for 2017 that I'm part of the final development for.

Also, every quarter you're allowed to sign up to take a GM vehicle for a week. Knowing that all the super sporty vehicles go instantly, I got a Cadillac SRX, top of the range. My first try, not too bad. Apparently it's practically impossible to actually get a vehicle, so I'm pretty happy with it. November 16th is my pickup day!

Living alone is pretty lonely though, after you've lived with your gf for like 2 years straight. Luckily, she's only like 3 hours away, but that still means weekends only (mostly).

Well, I'm definitely not going to be able to follow vagueposting today because my brain is still scrambled. But at the very least I'm glad to hear that good things happened to people.

I lost a few hours of memory from Monday, including apparently talking to people I don't remember seeing and sleeping when I don't remember laying down or taking a nap (I remember my intent to post in the OT thread here, but did not remember having actually done it much less the message that I wrote). Tuesday I had a blackout episode, but after that I've had no further neurological symptoms. Hoping By tomorrow I'll be in the clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Why ?

would

people

that
    endeavor to persevere.......

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    I too did a thing. Things that were not working were fixed with good logical reasons, and then some of the remaining problems were fixed just by leaving some seemingly important steps out of the processing.

Of course, the process that lets us leave stuff out isn't validated, so they're trying to make something that's the same on different equipment, which never works. And we need to commit to supply before that work is likely to complete.

/checks feels

Nope, vaguebook posting does nothing for me.
    the requirements to validate tend to scale with how far behind on production you are.

as an R&D guy, i just chuckle. if it works, and they know it works, and they are way behind, they use it regardless of qualification or validation. only when they have all the time in the world, do they then force you through the hoops of validation and qualification. thats why we we refuse to qualify production stuff on our R&D machines, when they really really really need our bandwidth, its there. but we won't jump through the hoops otherwise, we got other shit to do.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

also this might be the single best quote of all time regarding why i do not get a long with most car people:

Because people enjoy the idea that this stuff is dark magic that only a select few can comprehend. It's an exciting notion for people. When you try to remind them that cars are just a collection of mechanical bits that follow the same rules we've been using to design mechanical things for ages, and that plenty of us do such things for a living, it attacks their fantasies. It's very upsetting when you thought you you had something magical - that your dampers were made by wood elves, and your tires by Sauron himself - and somebody comes along and says "hell no dude, I designed some shit at work just the other day. I could design this suspension too, if you paid me. It's no big deal."
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Well that's just weird.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

In my field, validation means documenting that all of the project definition and design steps have been followed, and that the final system works as was intended when the project was developed. Validation itself is merely a documentation process with a quality control intention. If you have poor quality control, you can't always tell if the system was correctly validated. Ditto if you poorly define what you thought your project should look like in development.

It sounds like Lurker and Gordon are using a different meaning for validation, which I'm assuming is more mechanical. Can one of you two clarify what validation means from your standpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Why ?

would

people

that
    Because the device and/or their browser adds in the "signature" from the device. Either they are unaware of it, can not turn it off or they do not care, unlike yourself.

Insider
    I work in product development, which means using r and d assets to make novel materials once, or twice if we're feeling frisky.

Given that what we design has interesting properties, we run "validation " on production assets to characterize the variability of the product.

Typically this means running the process intentionally perturbed high and low on a few inputs to ensure you aren't on a cliff where you want to run, and then after that work finds a stable process, run a bunch of material at your chosen settings and assess inherent variability.

So if you are on equipment that hasn't been validated, you have no idea whether you are at the edge of tolerances and whether or not you could potential have high variability in your production vs. specification?