Page 167 of 418 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217267 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
    My favorite is when the sales group gets a hard on for a new product before it is even through prototyping let alone manufacturability/process validation. Production starts off behind from the get go, and the process group gets to be troubleshooters and bandaiders more than actually being able to implement process stability measures or projects.
    I live this, though admittedly I'm closer to being part of the sales group than the execution team. My boss said to me yesterday, "Is there a reason we're always doing a science project instead of our core business?" So at least here management is trying to reign sales in rather than letting them go free to sell magic we haven't cast yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    seems like job shops around here have about a 2-5 year lifecycle. i think this is the reason, they find a couple of dedicated enough guys to make it work, and then tire them out/piss them off, they leave, and the the shop closes pretty quickly after that.

every machinist we have ever hired tells the same story, they became the key guy at a shop, do that for a year or two, ask for more money, the shop declines, they start job searching, they get offered a job here, and then the shop tries to bend over backwards begging them to stay. whereas if they just met the guy halfway when he asked for more, he'd have never found a new, higher paying, better hours job.

a lot of bad management.
    this is spot on, it happens all the time around here

my uncle is a career machinist and he has floated from shop to shop his whole life, it is the only way he can garantee he makes the money he needs to make

but my new job is not a job shop, I will be working for Rio Grande out in Albuquerque making casting machines and molds and whatever else they want, with very clear salary terms, huge upward potential, and full benefits going in

they are also owned by Berkshire Hathaway so that helps me feel a little safer as well

I'm not about to float from shop to shop like that, I aim to build a career with tenure
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
    this is spot on, it happens all the time around here

my uncle is a career machinist and he has floated from shop to shop his whole life, it is the only way he can garantee he makes the money he needs to make

but my new job is not a job shop, I will be working for Rio Grande out in Albuquerque making casting machines and molds and whatever else they want, with very clear salary terms, huge upward potential, and full benefits going in

they are also owned by Berkshire Hathaway so that helps me feel a little safer as well

I'm not about to float from shop to shop like that, I aim to build a career with tenure
    yeah then it seems you almost always gotta get in somewhere big.

our machinists almost never leave. i mean it goes both ways, its over a years worth of training in most cases for our machinists, even after they have been industry for 5-10 years, so we don't undertake that lightly.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Man, that's a really cool application of plasma that I'd never heard of. Extending a predator's range by 300% and flight time by 50%? I hope to see it effectively dispersed in our lives within my lifetime.

Insider
    I just want a glowing spoiler for my lambo homie

I want a plasmatic dyson air multiplier.

yeah so stranger things 2 ... GIVE IT TO ME NOW
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Last edited by PBSteve; 09-01-2016 at 02:38 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon