Page 194 of 418 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Insider
    Oh, definitely. The linkages in the sikorsky that control angle of attack are terribly complex. In a drone where the blades are ducted you can effectively run the system on the outside edge of the blades, which should be a lot simpler, though the control strategy is still ugly.

- - - Updated - - -

Microturbines are much higher specific power than any engine. Fuel Cell also looks great for that metric.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfated33 View Post
    Skibbo, I've been streaming Good Place on Hulu for the past few months, but haven't seen the last two or three episodes yet. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, in light of the belief system in the premise not really being my thing. I credit it to Ted Danson, Kristen Bell, and William Jackson Harper all alternating playing the "straight man" in comedy to hilarious effect.
    the last few episodes are the best of the season. they're masterful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Oh, definitely. The linkages in the sikorsky that control angle of attack are terribly complex. In a drone where the blades are ducted you can effectively run the system on the outside edge of the blades, which should be a lot simpler, though the control strategy is still ugly.

- - - Updated - - -

Microturbines are much higher specific power than any engine. Fuel Cell also looks great for that metric.
    thats the secret, no drone company write there own fundamental motion control. they make drones, they get the algorithms from white papers.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfated33 View Post
    How far out is your lease renewal on your work PC? (Hoping they lease and didn't buy that thing for you) If your company has a big enough IT department, you might be able to switch out quickly on those kind of errors. If it's a small company, that's bad news. Hopefully small means more agile and they can buy you a new one. The cost of dealing with that every day has got to be way more than a new PC.
    Lol I work for GM, not a small company by any means. Getting IT isn't difficult, it's just a PITA for me.

Re drones, a major factor will also be cost. Fixed props are cheap and super easy to make, since flight control is just software and a cheap chip. Variable pitch = complex, expensive, much higher rnd time.
    https://www.instagram.com/vijil/
    I draw guns and spaceships and bunnies

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    thats the secret, no drone company write there own fundamental motion control. they make drones, they get the algorithms from white papers.
    Y'know, machine learning is so good now that you probably wouldn't even have to write a control strategy anymore, could probably map vectors to the control space just by observation and some accelerometers. You can get THOSE I/O algorithms from whitepapers too.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

I don't think we're quite that far along yet. The best to hope for would be centralized programming already being done on the control platform you're using, and then a lot of the strategy is dictated by the control modules you pull in. I don't know if there is a platform established out there that already has a lot of these logic blocks already built. Also, when using modules and blocks to build up a control strategy, you're going to suffer from higher "overhead" on your processor - because the objects have to be written to handle as many possible generic situations as they can, the processor will have to check a lot of unnecessary code that won't be optimized for your control system. Newer processors do handle this problem better, but it's still the same tradeoff that we've seen in industrial control over "how much can you do?" vs. "how many processors can you afford?" As soon as a faster processor comes along or RAM gets even smaller, the drive to add more module functionality increases.

We definitely aren't in a place yet where the typical control program application can begin "learning" how to improve control in the same way that an IBM program learns to master checkers or Jeopardy. I don't doubt it will be here in my lifetime, though.

Insider
    That's just not very accurate, reinforcement learning as a control approach in robotics is not new and doesn't require a lot of overhead once the training phase is complete. The biggest issue, as in most machine learning models, is generating a data set and training it.

In the given drone example, starting with a few "pure" vector settings and then allowing the reinforcement learning to handle the complex interpolation would be one somewhat accelerated approach.

I think you'd be surprised where that field is.

Interesting. I'll look into it more. What I see in machine control for industrial applications is almost never what I'd typically consider as "robotics", and there is nothing like reinforcement learning going on with any control platform on the market. Certainly not ours, and no worries from the competition.

my body is ready:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIJSU8wA67I

still will b focused on GTLM, but curious to see how the american DPis fair against the euro-spec LPM2s.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 01-24-2017 at 02:25 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.