Page 137 of 418 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187237 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    TIL Halo 5 was released in October

I'm officially off that bandwagon
    I got it, played the campaign once, and was really let down with the story. Haven't played the multiplayer much either, I'm waiting until they release a proper infection mode.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    you can't solve being a bad manager and not understanding the technical challenges of the subject you are managing, with a new software program or a new lingo.

you just need to learn the technology and understand what it means, and thus become a good manager.
    Why not try to help them become a better manager instead of bashing people? Odds are that they're getting hammered by upper management for missing those dates and crap rolls down hill. I don't disagree that some people are just bad managers, but if you could give them a suggestion that helps them better communicate the message from you to upper management then I don't see why not try. The method I suggested just gets them to ask for an optimistic and pessimistic estimate in addition to the most likely date. Then they average the 3. So, you get to quantify your caveats... Unless the person really doesn't want to do anything other than griping about missing dates, then they should be open to it.

IDK Gordon, I suppose I tend to understand why management takes a certain position and then peel that onion back and see what their real interest is/was. A lot of times it makes my life a lot easier in the long-run to try and make them successful. I'm not trying to defend them since I clearly don't know all the details, but MS project or primavera are only as good as the data.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    Why not try to help them become a better manager instead of bashing people? Odds are that they're getting hammered by upper management for missing those dates and crap rolls down hill. I don't disagree that some people are just bad managers, but if you could give them a suggestion that helps them better communicate the message from you to upper management then I don't see why not try. The method I suggested just gets them to ask for an optimistic and pessimistic estimate in addition to the most likely date. Then they average the 3. So, you get to quantify your caveats... Unless the person really doesn't want to do anything other than griping about missing dates, then they should be open to it.

IDK Gordon, I suppose I tend to understand why management takes a certain position and then peel that onion back and see what their real interest is/was. A lot of times it makes my life a lot easier in the long-run to try and make them successful. I'm not trying to defend them since I clearly don't know all the details, but MS project or primavera are only as good as the data.
    oh i know they are getting the hammer from upper management. we all are. of course the reason we are is a bad management decision made about 5 years ago .... but you know, thats a whole different story ....

obviously what i posted here is not what i said to him. merely venting that the theory and practice of management are not the same thing. and really there is simply no replacement for actually understanding the program and why things are way they are.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

This discussion would be better in the form of a Powerpoint presentation.

With pictures. If your powerpoint doesn't have pictures everyone will hate it.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

And fancy slide transitions. They make it much more entertaining.

pictures have nothing on buzzwords.

adjacencies. its all about adjacencies. if you have no adjacencies you an't got shit.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Well I don't know what that is but if your project isn't green, interdisciplinary, or innovative, you might as well kill yourself.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

synergy

don't forget synergy
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.