Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: PSP to go to semi-auto (bombshell)

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    You don't need to catch every instance of cheating, you just need to have a monumentally high penalty for illegal guns and spot checks as a deterrent.

See also: HGH testing in sport
    i have always proposed a stiff penalty deterrent system in paintball, but its never popular.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    This Time Will Be Different™

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    This Time Will Be Different™
    we just don't have a zero tolerance culture in paintball. or anything even reasonably close to it.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I normally advocate against zero tolerance as being zero brains... but in the case of paintball, it's hard to see the downside. There shouldn't be a grey area.

One of the other things that could be done with the manufacturer/PSP collaboration is to eliminate, or at least reduce, the shot queue. One ball queue with some kind of timed gate limitation on it, so ROF isn't exactly capped but you do need some finesse on your trigger walk to hit high ROF.

Example: 1 shot queue, and an additional ball can't be added for... 15 ms after the most recent solenoid activation. So that's a 66.6 bps cap. Or maybe make it something nice like a 31.25 ms nullification gate, which would correspond to a max ROF of 32 bps. It's not a strict cap in the sense that the shots are evenly spaced, but it does act to keep ROF down.

Edit2: Actually, if you just made it like 20ms you could probably gate out the majority of bounce anyway. Someone with better numbers on across-the-board actuation time could probably give a better all-encompassing number (ahem jack ahem).
    Last edited by PBSteve; 12-18-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Insider
    That sounds like it could change, but thanks for clearing that up. We should start by saying we don’t actually know why there are new rules. What is the PSP trying to accomplish through these rules changes with the pros?
    Tom Cole - We are trying to showcase the skill of the Pro paintball player. A player that has made it to the Pro ranks should be able to shoot on the run and left handed without a enhanced trigger
    Psh, don't need no left hand to shoot with my warp feed.

Supports Inception Designs
    I prefer semi to ramping honestly...it takes very little skill to hold a lane with a ramping marker, same with moving and shooting....

my only gripe with it is lowering the ROF to 10.2...if you are going to go back to semi-auto why not bring back the old standard of 15bps cap? let those who can actually shoot show off their skills and those that cant...well, they can either learn or figure out another way to be effective like I had to do years ago.

I don't advocate for 'wild west paintball' as some call it, but 10bps is slow and boooooring to me honestly...

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePro84 View Post
    I prefer semi to ramping honestly...it takes very little skill to hold a lane with a ramping marker, same with moving and shooting....

my only gripe with it is lowering the ROF to 10.2...if you are going to go back to semi-auto why not bring back the old standard of 15bps cap? let those who can actually shoot show off their skills and those that cant...well, they can either learn or figure out another way to be effective like I had to do years ago.

I don't advocate for 'wild west paintball' as some call it, but 10bps is slow and boooooring to me honestly...
    10.2 is only for lower divisions. Pro's will be uncapped.

Supports Inception Designs
    exactly....local teams and tournaments don't normally play with pro rules, they play with divisional rules...i.e. capped :-(

Thanks for the clarification though, i had to go back and read the interview post.

I suppose i could just put my markers in uncapped semi and be like "nope...its in the rulebook! :-P"...

Uncapped anything is a nightmare IMO. I was slow to adopt ramping, but normally set my gun to 9bps on PSP. When kids gripe about ramping, I swap to semi and they ask me to go back to ramp. I find it makes the game more fun and deliberate with ramp.

I havent ever played in game with ramping, about the time it became a thing I ducked out of paintball. I played around with it on my DM6 with tadao, and wasnt fond of it to be honest, seemed to suck the fun out of it.