Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passport Book or Card?

Passport Book or Card?

My son and I are looking at going to canadian carnage this year. I have done alot of traveling but never out of the US. Do we both need the passport book to get into canada or just the card?

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigwldr View Post
    My son and I are looking at going to canadian carnage this year. I have done alot of traveling but never out of the US. Do we both need the passport book to get into canada or just the card?
    I thought I remembered reading that CC was canceled? Maybe it's after this year.

On topic, I think you need the whole book, but it's been a number of years since I went to the Great White North.

Insider
    I was zipping through Ontario 2x a month for almost a year when working in Canandaigua and having my fiance/wife still in MI. Always just used the book. Thought about the Nexus card thing but never got around to it since I figured out the best crossings and timing to get in and out.

Incidentally my best time was just about 5 hours including the crossings... yes its 400 miles. the 402 is like the great white autobahn (don't try it on the 401... only have to slow down between woodstock and brantford). This ended about 2 years ago when that job ended, so i presume statute of limitations is way passed.

NY we just have enhanced driver license. Not sure what is the easiest for other though. But with kids, I guess it could be tricky. We did just have our son's birth cert and it was fine. Not sure if that has changed now either.

As a Canadian, just bring a Passport. Its easier to deal with. Also, no guns. Also, paintball guns are classified firearms. They can be used like always, but in the event of a crime, theyre a firearm. I've yet to confirm how they need to be transported... Will do sooner than later.

How old is your son?

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    As a Canadian, just bring a Passport. Its easier to deal with.
    Passport is the best idea as you will have no issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    Also, paintball guns are classified firearms. They can be used like always, but in the event of a crime, theyre a firearm. I've yet to confirm how they need to be transported... Will do sooner than later.
    My first thought was.. "Baloney, this can't be true" but upon further investigation I found this,

4.0 CLASSIFICATION OF “TOY” GUNS AS FIREARMS

A firearm is a barreled weapon from which a projectile can be discharged, and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person. A recreational barreled weapon, such as an air pistol (BB/pellet gun), Airsoft or paintball gun, can therefore be classified as a firearm if the Court finds it is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person.

The Court declared an air pistol to be a “firearm” because it was functional and capable of discharging projectiles with force sufficient to puncture a human eye. A gun does not have to be licensed as a “firearm” if its muzzle velocity does not exceed 500 feet per second. However, it can still be a “firearm” for non-registration and non-licensing offences of it is capable of causing serious bodily harm or death. This threshold is met when the muzzle velocity is 246 feet per second or greater—at that speed the projectile can puncture an eye. This standard is based on the conclusions of a scientific experiment using pig eyes. The decision of the Court in this case was also based partly on evidence that the air pistol in question had earlier fired projectiles at a velocity sufficient to puncture holes in aluminum cans: R v Tiedeman, 1994 CarswellAlta 183 at para 12 (PC)
    Thanks new ion?. Learn something new every day.

Tigwldr: I work at an airport and spent years dealing with documentation issues for travellers. Airlines get fine in many countries if they let someone without the proper documents to enter that country fly there so we had to know what to look for.

Last I heard Americans just need government issued ID to get into Canada. However, all systems for travel -airport scanners, custom officers computers, everything are set up to use passports. So even when other ID is allowed it takes longer and is more difficult. Everything is about the passport these days.

I will ask a customs officer at work when I am in next for the details and a definitive answer for you.

Regardless, you need a passport to enter the USA. Even American citizens returning to the US. This was phased in over several years and started with air travel. It is applicable to all forms of travel now.

So to summarize, probably do not need passport to get into Canada, will find out from customs for you, you definitely need a passport to get back to your country.

Tigwldr: I just phoned Canada customs from home. It hit me that there is no reason I cannot phone them from home like I phone them at work 3 times a day. :-) Anyway, I spoke to an officer and she told me like most countries in the world we have gotten way more strict in the last years. You and your son will for sure need passports to get in. It is a moot point as you needed them to get back, but just so you know, you need them to get in now too. Also, if your son's mother is not with you you will need a letter from his mother saying it is OK for him to be travelling with you and she knows where you are taking him.

Unless your kid is 18+.

New Ion: Oh yeah, I suppose that is possible. :-) Didn't even think to ask even though I asked the customs officer if there is an exception for young people thinking maybe his son is 13 or something. After that I did not even think about age.