Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: GCode Angel project

I am still interested in the ICD boards, but wished you would have not put it in the frame.

So, truthfully programming isn't my strong-suit at all... I am, however, interested in doing some basic programming. Should I be looking into arduino or some other g-code as a beginner? How similar is the device mapping/ addressing and how similar are the operations between rasberri pi, arduino, etc.?
    Last edited by ironyusa; 04-16-2016 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    I am still interested in the ICD boards, but wished you would have not put it in the frame.
    Please understand that board was developed for an Angel LED. It just so happens it drops into a B2k frame without issue. Where do you suggest the board go? A very limiting factor is access to the screen and buttons. With the current location a simple set of modified or 3d printed grips is all that is need. No modification to the actual marker. I'd like to develop a Race replacement board next so that will necessitate developing a smaller "universal" board.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    So, truthfully programming isn't my strong-suit at all... I am, however, interested in doing some basic programming. Should I be looking into arduino or some other g-code as a beginner? How similar is the device mapping/ addressing and how similar are the operations between rasberri pi, arduino, etc.?
    It kind of depends on your application. Are you looking to read some sensors, display simple data, turn some I/O on and off? Stuff that needs precise timing based on inputs? If so, "Arduino" is great at this. Check out Adafruit or Sparkfun as they have fantastic tutorials for all things concerning microcontrollers. Also, Youtube has a plethora of information about "arduino". There are also lots of courses for arduino. This is one I suggest. Arduino uses the Wiring programming language which is a derivative of C+.

If on the other hand, if you are looking to crunch a bunch of data, interface with the web, have fancy displays/hdmi, built a media center etc? A Rasberri Pi is what you want. It is better to think of a Pi as a mini computer while Arduino would be considered a PLC. The trade off with a Pi is the I/O is limited and dealing with it is much more complex than with a micro controller. Pi's are Linux based.

Edit - Added a great video describing the difference between Arduino and Pi
    Last edited by Dirty Engineer; 04-19-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Engineer View Post
    Please understand that board was developed for an Angel LED. It just so happens it drops into a B2k frame without issue. Where do you suggest the board go? A very limiting factor is access to the screen and buttons. With the current location a simple set of modified or 3d printed grips is all that is need. No modification to the actual marker. I'd like to develop a Race replacement board next so that will necessitate developing a smaller "universal" board.
    Oh no, don't get me wrong. I will take at least 2 boards(1 straight B2K & 1 LCD Angel board-for a LCD framed B2K), but trying into the old existing board placement is very limiting. The ztock placement of the battery is difficult to access, even with the battery do. Also, has this been tested in anything other than the one B2K? There were 2 different noids used, not to mention the Freestyle and PromasterI do understand that this is a sideline of the main or more important project. I will say that the ICD community is appreciative of this.

Regardless, i do like this.

Thank you so much for the help DE. I will start with those... it does sound like arduino is what I'd like.

Boards went together great. Here's a shot of the backside with the BLE module installed in a E1 frame.

Insider
    So.... in your design you seem to use a compact board (Mother?) that jumpers to a (sorry, my brain isn't using the right words at the moment) 'daughter' board that has all the buttons and related on it? That is something we were thinking about at one point.

Or is it something else?
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

The "module" you see is actually the Bluetooth Low Energy board with it's own voltage regulator (3.3v) and level shifting circuitry as it can only operate at 3.3v. The BLE and OLED display daughter boards are an off the shelf product as its cheaper to buy them assembled than to piece them together/build my own. The rest of the board is on the other side and is a traditional "all in one" style as show here.

Insider
    Ah, okay. Looks really good. Did you have a ballpark price? A couple of the original Torque prototypes used the Eblade frame. Would be fun to update them.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com