Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Cars

Hybrid Cars

Koenigsegg just released one.

Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Insider
    Dem CF wheels. All dat exposed CF, in fact.

I was a tiny bit surprised they say the 2 electric motors are on the rear wheels, not the front (with an additional unit on the crank). Unless I'm missing something the front wheels are a way better choice (braking, torque vectoring) and they can use the crank motor for the rear torque filling action.

I like those Koenigsegg boys.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

9/10, needs better fangs.

1500hp is quite a bit of oomph - I think automakers these days love to create a turbo engine and then show it to get better gas mileage than a compact. Since only 80 are planned to be made, I can only guess at the price. No doubt that these babies will fall into the "ultra-luxury" class of cars.

Unrelated, I've been thinking quite a bit of making the jump to hybrid with my next car. Most of my commute is highway, but in the evenings it's stop and go anyway. The Avalon, Accord, and Camry are all tempting choices with gas mileage at 40mpg or better.

When I was looking at Hybrid cars for daily commute, a prius vs a corolla/fit had basically $5000-$8000 dollar difference. I could fuel my car for 50k miles for the $5000 at $5 a gallon. We decided against that.

However, when looking a sports cars, ya hybrids are a no-brainer. Easy way to add horse power.

Insider
    http://jalopnik.com/how-the-1-500-hp...out-1689181377

Way more details here. Direct drive... saves a ton of weight. Not sure I understand how it works, but I like it.

Can't wait to see footage of it on a track!
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

That 20 second to top speed stat is just mindblowing, it's over half over the veyron's time to top speed!

Price clocking in just shy of $2 million. Whoa.

It's great that hybrids are starting to be seen as performance machines rather than just for hipsters. The performance figures you can get make it super logical.

So this joins McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche at the top end. Nice.

I currently drive a 2000 corolla because it's uber reliable and I'm poor, but I'm hoping plug in hybrid models start to drop in price soon. Here in NZ we pay about $9 per gallon, and less than you for power, so each electric kilometre costs a fraction of what it would with gas. And it helps that most of our power generation is green so the net emissions are lower.

Of course that doesn't help when the Volt costs $80,000 here = a grand total of 9 sold. Hah. Outlander PHEV is doing much much better for sales.
    https://www.instagram.com/vijil/
    I draw guns and spaceships and bunnies

Holy $80 grand for a Volt, Batman.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

That price for a Volt is amazing. Here in the US, hybrid prices are really coming into line with regular car prices. Using a service like Edmunds or TrueCar, I can get the cost of a Hybrid Camry XLE within about $1500 of a standard Camry XLE ($26400 vs $24900). For my annual usage, a hybrid pays for itself in just a few years, and comes out cheaper on lifecycle costs compared to a standard gas engine.