Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Barrel threads

im tellin you guys, angel A1 fly threads were perfect:

no shank, big threads, fast lead ....
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    Thing is, I wouldn't deny that Ion/Impulse threads have a lot going for them, almost entirely on the engineering side. There's a few things going against them as well.

First off, SP never gave them an actual name until fairly recently. When they brought out the Impulse, if they'd called them "Smart Threads", they could have easily carried that name on them forever. A name may not be a technical issue or concern, but if you name an item something stupid, it's not likely to thrive.

Second, really, nobody other than Smart Parts and its sub-companies jumped on board. Even there, some of the nicer Shockers ran Cocker threads. So Impulse threads are found on the Impulse, Ion family, and Luxe. Even the popularity of the Luxe hasn't given a huge rise to the Impulse threads. Meanwhile, every other high end gun, and most of the mid-range guns, on the market? Cocker threads.

Third, there's still a Smart Parts stigma out there. OK, they were assholes about how they did business. A bunch of people around that same time frame were, but nobody remembers that. Granted, I don't think the Gardners were smart (haha) about how they pursued what they wanted. They essentially guaranteed the player base would hate them. What they really needed back then was a better PR department, but it is what it is. To this day, people will still make a face when someone brings up Smart Parts... to the point where it was genuinely shocking (I'm on a roll) that they'd dip back into that memory well with Shocker Paintball being SP.

Finally, the best thing on the player side of things for Impulse threads is that it doesn't take three weeks to turn a barrel onto or off of a gun. Simon's brilliant short Cocker threads, picked up by Planet Eclipse and Empire, have solved that problem.

That's just one idiot's opinion, though.
    Just gonna leave this here for you, PumpScout

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post66687695
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

A1 threads were pretty decent.

As for wear on threads, the only threads I've seen have issues are where people did something stupid with the gun or the barrel. That burns out threads pretty quick. Otherwise, not even much wear even on old barrels.

Edit - D'oh! Caught by my own comment! To be fair, that was before the short Cocker threads were out.

Insider
    Supports Inception Designs
    All of our Deadlywind AC barrels are using the qt threads. One of the best things to happen to barrels since slip fit with camlock.
    I've seen a couple non qt AC barrels come back as "worn out, falls out" and it turned out the gun body was way over spec on its threads and was only catching the very tips.
    Hold yer nose it's Deadlywind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicad View Post
    All of our Deadlywind AC barrels are using the qt threads. One of the best things to happen to barrels since slip fit with camlock.
    I've seen a couple non qt AC barrels come back as "worn out, falls out" and it turned out the gun body was way over spec on its threads and was only catching the very tips.
    Now imagine putting qt AC barrels on those bodies.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Now imagine putting qt AC barrels on those bodies.
    The same thing would happen.

That's why the QT threads have a spec for the body and for the barrel. The only 'cocker thread specs ever released to do that as far as I am aware?

Can't spend too much of your life worrying about how what you make will fit with parts other people have made incorrectly...

But isn't the variance just another reason to jump ship? Please can we all just jump ship together?!?

(file under: things I know will never happen)

At some point in the future I might make QT2 threads and reduce down the lead... old barrels could be easily updated, and new barrels could work with old guns with a drop in spacer...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    At some point in the future I might make QT2 threads and reduce down the lead... old barrels could be easily updated, and new barrels could work with old guns with a drop in spacer...
    At this point aren't we almost getting into "Original Impulse" threads?

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Has anyone in here ever had barrel threads wear out ?

I know I haven't.

I've yet to ever hear about that happening.
    Oddly enough at the same event im at this weekend last year there was a guy who had a DW barrel (if memory serves) that was falling out of his body. He had it teflon taped to all hell to get it to stay. I loaned him either a Dye or Stella barrel and it workedfor the rest of the event and I believe he sent his barrel in for replacement later.

Thats the only time I have seen threads on a barrel 'strip off' to the point they failed but I have seen some others worn down a bit as well.