Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Living Legends 8 bans First Strike Rounds

If this is their idea of testing I'm not gonna hold my breath.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...7#post89535497
    Last edited by PBSteve; 05-21-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Well, people kept asking about FS rounds and masks, and they posted a video. I highly doubt they submitted that as iron-clad proof.
    I don't know, fly casual

endeavor to persevere.......

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTheWookie View Post
    Well, people kept asking about FS rounds and masks, and they posted a video. I highly doubt they submitted that as iron-clad proof.
    I hope they have their shit more together than it seems from the outside.

What makes you think they don't have their shit together?
    I don't know, fly casual

If Tiberius' guy has been on the committee since before the release of FSRs (I have no reason to dispute this claim), they've been failing to pass a change for 6 years either because they've been unable for technical reasons, political reasons (seems unlikely), or have just been absentee on the issue. Now that they've claimed to have been on the ASTM committee, they certainly can't claim ignorance.

When people asked about mask testing they didn't respond with "FSRs have been tested as safe against an array of masks under the most rigorous conditions and this data will be submitted to ASTM for review", they posted a video of a Hustle dude going outside, shooting a mask and saying "see, it's fine".

Not particularly confidence-inspiring, that's all.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Gotcha. Though they never gave a time frame for how long their guy was in the committee.
    Last edited by AndrewTheWookie; 05-22-2015 at 08:46 PM.

Supports Inception Designs
    Yeah, Tiberius seems to make a ton of mistakes given the size of their company / popularity of their products. For a long time (and possibly now still), paintball was their secondary line of business and less-lethal was their primary, drawing all of their attention/resources. They drew my ire when they couldn't troubleshoot why I was getting an FPS Standard Deviation of +/-12.7, and then when I isolated the problem (driving the gun's reg too hard), and asked if they would address it, their lead tech said "look, you're never going to get perfect consistency" (as if I was asking for, or expecting that).

When it comes to testing, I'm not sure what they did beyond at the very least, testing it against a plywood board (as required under the paintball ASTM) before calling it "ASTM Safety Compliant" but, I don't feel that I can guess one way or the other just what has been happening in the last few year's ASTM meetings. Given everything both sides (Cossio, Tiberius Arms) have said, I would not be surprised if the truth was somewhere in the middle, i.e. some personalities on the sub-committee not liking the rounds (for any number of reasons, like paintball puritanism, over-reacting to word of mouth issues, competition, etc), Sub-Committee, not agreeing to take action (i.e. more pressing requirements for other aspects of the game), requiring multiple tests before the specification working group can get assigned, Tiberius dragging their feet, etc.

Definitely made me stop and think for a second.

The hit on top isn't particularly unique, that kind of thing is seen in regular paintball hits all the time. The streak is really interesting, though. It makes me think the fins and the additional material where they meet the capsule portion is providing additional lateral strength to the round, meaning glancing shots are less likely to break or even deform, and the nature of the round makes it less likely to tumble on impact. That seems like it would explain the sliding pattern.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

I think most of the 'serious' FSR hits I have seen have all been glancing blows. I have never seen anything that looked worse than a close spherical impact. Usually the cuts and blood I have seen are, like you said, due to excess lateral strength.
    If there is another group of people outside of paintballers who will jump on a bandwagon faster than the speed of light - I have yet to meet them.