Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Living Legends 8 bans First Strike Rounds

Insider
    We killed that argument a while back. A few times.

Insurance companies want the field to make sure everybody has a barrel sock on before they leave the field. After that the issue with a particular round isn't a factor since the sock stops it. They have come out and said, like I mentioned in the bold in the last post of mine, exactly what they are worried about and what they need to test to be acceptable. I will post just that so it doesn't become tr;dr:

So issues are:
    ? What are the ASTM standards? The ASTM standards are used as a basis of guidelines for manufacturers, distributors, insurance companies, and attorneys.
    ? If they are not defined as a "paintball" per ASTM standards what are they? They are not currently defined as anything.
    ? Will it pass the ASTM paintball netting test? I am not aware of anyone testing this.
    ? Will it pass the ASTM goggle test? I am not aware of anyone testing the goggle systems. And yes all goggle manufacturers would have to be tested.

Ophthalmologists, when first presented with this product info were concerned about an increased damage to eye vs a paintball since the polystyrene shell could fragment differently when it impacted. They were not happy with it and would argue against it until testing was done to show what affect would it have on an eye, how many Jules, etc
    Not mentioned? Staging issues and increased range problems.

The 'Staging Argument' is a hypothetical reason for why the insurance company wouldn't allow FSR, and is something Steve hypothesized before the insurance companies made a statement.

The 'Real Reason' is in bold above, and comes from the insurance company themselves.

Now, if I had seen Cossio or GI or anybody in the ASTM bring up the issue as a concern then the point would be valid, it would be a concern of theirs.

But they haven't....

Is it a valid reason to be safer with a FSR in the staging area? Yeah. So is clearing a gun, good idea. I liked to have a ref at the exit to stop people from passing him until they had the barrel plug/sock on. People can walk 100ft trying to get a sock on while walking a holding a gun. Good practice. Not what insurance mandates. There are lots of good ideas to make this a safer sport, and it already is one! But again this goes back to ASTM Standards and how the insurance company uses them. Not a hypothetical reason that they have not mentioned.
    Last edited by pbjosh; 04-26-2016 at 09:04 AM.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Josh, you're right, I shouldn't have focused on staging. Just replace staging area issues with impact-related injuries involving an insurance claim, and my point stands.

I don't put much stock in GI management to be technically capable, the insurance industry hasn't said much besides "no", and the ASTM actively demonstrated technical incompetence in that powerpoint they published in August. The report they were going to release in November with additional ranges tested never showed up because it would have demonstrated my point beautifully.

My only concern is the continued access to as many affordable insurance options as possible.

Insider
    Just replace staging area issues with impact-related injuries involving an insurance claim, and my point stands.
    All that is left then is getting you to accept that marker energy levels are set for muzzle energy at 1" range to be low enough to not cause to much damage, and hence point blank damage assessment is the critical test area and we are set!

Though still not discussed: Alternative ways in which we can test for damage to the skin between FSR and regular PBs. A consistent reference. Ballistic jelly of a certain consistency with a shirt over it? Maybe looking at the sharpness of the shell under a microscope?

Side thought: Did the weight increase happen with PLA vs. polystyrene?
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    All that is left then is getting you to accept that marker energy levels are set for muzzle energy at 1" range to be low enough to not cause to much damage
    They're clearly not, since there are impact-related insurance payouts even with roundball. FSR extends the range at which they're not.

You could prove it to me though, go shoot yourself in the neck a few times at 1 inch and let us know how that goes.

(don't actually do this, you'd risk a stroke)

Insider
    impact-related
    Impact energy is highest for a projectile shot is at:

a) 80ft Away

b) 200ft away

c) 1" away

d) All of the above

Given the same velocity, Impact Energy of a 3.4 gram round is ______ a 3.1 gram round.

a) Greater than

b) Lower than

c) The same as

d) None of the above

If given a choice, would you prefer to be hit by:

a) A 3.4 gram round at 300fps

b) A 3.1 gram round at 280fps

c) A 2.7 gram round at 300fps

d) None of the above, I am a sissy.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Insider
    You could prove it to me though, go shoot yourself in the neck a few times at 1 inch and let us know how that goes
    Actually, I am willing to sacrifice my legs and arms for this. Lets look at the issue as if I took a PBR shot right next to a FSR on my leg. Same velocity (280?) from each, 1" away. I might need to shave my legs (well, weedwack), but hey, SCIENCE!

That would be a nice look at the way the fragments affect it. One of the guys who does the insurance is only an hour away. Totally game.

I can then take a hit from 80 ft away? We know the FSR will most likely cause more damage than the PB at that distance. But at the 1" distance the PBR should cause more damage, except where the shards from the fins do something else.

If we can get a good camera, get a nice clean shot. That is good science right there.

And watching me get shot would be funny. You know you want to see it.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Supports Inception Designs
    Wow, I didn't know this topic exploded back up over here- I've been addressing it over at MCB but, I'll share my main points here for folks that don't go there often or at all.

In regards to my data and graphs etc, it has nothing to do with the ASTM, or my membership but rather, my changing of hosting services and the relatively low interest I got over on TechPB in more recent years. Current thread and working links are over on MCB

Given the fact that there are several insurance providers who haven't already jumped to Cossio's conclusion, I wouldn't say that this is purely an insurance issue. Also, Cossio's behavior clearly indicates that he has some personal motive beyond 'insurability'. I do acknowledge that some insurers don't feel comfortable covering something not under a specification. If it was a clear-cut case, it'd be more like Full-Auto which for a long time has nearly been universally banned. On this point, you must also consider the following ASTM certification dates:
    1996- ASTM Adopts a standard for the ASA (threading, etc); Many markers made in 1989 had this capability but, this was the first standard.
    1999- ASTM adopts a standard for paintballs and goggles; Again, many goggles had come and gone before this standard arrived.
    2003- ASTM adopts a standard for paintball markers; We went from nel-spots to electropnuematics before this standard even came around.
    2006- ASTM adopts a standard for 'reball' like products; Reball usage related questions started appearing on PBN in March, 2005.
    2009- ASTM adopts a standard for safe handling and filling of HPA tanks.; I had my first HPA system in 2004, and I believe several in here have had them before that.
    It appears to me that requiring ASTM specifications before the product is allowed on the field is unrealistic at best.

Also, interestingly enough, I've seen the negative responses from other voting members and, it's a bit surprising to see a canned phrase "different impact profile" by multiple voters who even manage to use the phrase incorrectly. Also, If I could name the organization, it would be clear that one of the 'down voters' just simply want's to slow the competition. I've heard rumors that Kee/GI opposes them but, nothing in the ASTM I've seen to justify the assertion.

The founder of Carmatech, and other individuals provided a presentation to the ASTM that did about as good of a job as I can imagine of showing how FS rounds and Paintballs interact with the body (force sensors, force sensors with standard ballistic gelatin coating, force sensors with gel and, burlap (to simulate clothing), paint and FS rounds impacting clear gelatin (to highlight penetration, etc) and there is next to a zero difference between projectiles that impact at similar speeds and weights.

One thing I find funny about the assertion of netting defeat is that Cossio claims to have done it while calling out the amateur testing of others (and purposely leaving out the testing I mentioned above), and demanding that third party certified testing organizations be commissioned to do testing.

It's also worth noting that when this whole LL thing spilled over, Cossio said: "We have seen the statement by Tiberius and are glad they are trying to get all the safety approved, the thing is, even though they are trying to get standards set by the ASTM and the safety testing approved by the Goggles manufactures, netting, etc. the insurance carriers won't change their policies until all the testing has been completed and standards are set. We are not saying that the FSR are not as safe as a paintball and we would have no problem insuring them & have nothing against Tiberius personally." Now that they are close to being approved, he's in a panic. The earlier quoted email that he sent out to his distro, has since been taken down.

Finally, I'm dialing into the meeting tomorrow and I expect to hear just how things will move forward since we finished the 2nd round of voting.
    Last edited by UV Halo; 05-04-2016 at 01:21 AM. Reason: grammer

Insider
    I wouldn't say exploded - we really just had a brief recap of previous better cited arguments because I wanted to make sure a certain horse was well and dead. Ha!

Thank you though for your input! That is a great post. Please keep up updated.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

UV, do you know if results from testing at range will be made public?