Thread: Living Legends 8 bans First Strike Rounds

Insider
    I forgot to consider the netting.
    Same here. Good point.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

FYI, the email from Cossio that Youngstown posted is from several days ago, before Tiberius posted their response.
    I don't know, fly casual

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I forgot to consider the netting.

I always forget to consider the netting. It's obvious why there's a standard for it, I just always forget about it.
    We were testing out the FS rounds on a friend and I corrected for the drop too much. It missed his head and the FS round went though the netting. So I know for a fact that the FS round shot at 290fps can go clean through the netting 20 feet away.

What was the age of the netting? I've hit the netting at my field with FS rounds up close, and they did not penetrate or leave damage of any kind.
    I don't know, fly casual

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTheWookie View Post
    What was the age of the netting? I've hit the netting at my field with FS rounds up close, and they did not penetrate or leave damage of any kind.
    I can go find out but I would say less than 5 y/o(I remember when they replaced it all after a flood).
    Also It was a pretty windy day and I know the nets were pretty stretched.

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
    I can go find out but I would say less than 5 y/o(I remember when they replaced it all after a flood).
    Also It was a pretty windy day and I know the nets were pretty stretched.
    Here's something that could be relevant though. If a paintball gun was shot with a paintball with a similar impact force (in other words, paintball shot closer, I can provide the distance if I was given the distance and the starting velocity of the FS) and similar conditions (i.e wind stressing), would the paintball netting hold up?

However, how is the astm for netting written? Does it say 'stop a paintball at any range' (to include point blank)? or is it something like: Handle a shot from a typical impact distance?

Am I correct in my understanding of the ASTM-Insurance framework that ASTM specced Goggles, and Netting should reference the ASTM for Paintball? In other words, the testing of netting products could test with something like: A"t a distance of x feet, fire 10shots, of an ASTM Specced paintball, at a velocity of xxx at a suspended and taught net. All 10 shots must be retained."

Yes, they reference each other. And yeah, that probably shouldn't have gone through.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

I've seen pictures by someone who shoot an FSR through a Havok launcher at something like 500 fps and that blew a hole clean through netting.

I've not tried it at mere mortal velocities though to check penetration.

I do know that at reasonable ranges they do catch the net and roll down fully intact. I remember trying to judge drop on FSR by across a speedball field into the netting on the other side, and was able to go pick up the fired rounds and reuse them a few times.

I'm building a shot trap with the hope that it will collect FSR for reuse so I can do mag testing and velocity testing without spending as much on the rounds. Tiberius does the same, and they make the dang things.

Though if they end up completely banned then there won't be much point
    Last edited by HipboyScott; 05-15-2015 at 06:59 PM.

I did notice this on the ASTM website:

http://www.astm.org/DATABASE.CART/WORKITEMS/WK48494.htm

Don't know how long it's been up though, could be a rushed change just in the last few days for all I can tell.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 05-15-2015 at 07:10 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I did notice this on the ASTM website:

http://www.astm.org/DATABASE.CART/WORKITEMS/WK48494.htm

Don't know how long it's been up though, could be a rushed change just in the last few days for all I can tell.
    In the lower right it says, 'initiated 1-18-2015' I'm guessing that's when this work started. When I read the "What is a Work Order" it appears to say that once on the website (I'm guessing the January Date) that it will only show up on the website for six months. Interestingly, that work order seems to be focused on changing the existing paintball standard (F1979-10), rather than establishing a new standard. If this is true, this is a good thing in that if the standards are all nested then, I would imagine that all of the safety equipment standards, wouldn't have to be re-tested at Tiberius' request (jn the development of a new standard) but rather to ensure their products are keeping up with the paintball standard.

When Tiberius says "We look forward to the ASTM work item hitting the ballot this summer" I'm hopping this means that they've been drafting a modification to the standard and will be presenting it for a vote this summer. If the voting requires a physical meeting, well they're not on the schedule for this month's meeting but, they might be on for November (F08 only appears to meet twice a year, May and November).

I hope this gets sorted out soon.