Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paint Darts? Discs?

Insider
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

PBSteve: What a great video.

pbjosh: Those look dangerous as all get out. Are those being made by just some random guy? Any testing by experts?

Insider
    They actually came out WAY back when - When I started playing, in 1991, they were around in some form. They seem to work really well. Due to the shape and light weight they really wouldn't be all that different as I see it. I am curious how minimal a working stabilizer for a PBall could be.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Supports Inception Designs
    The one problem with those Sniper fins is that they add mass to the impact, which in addition to reducing drag, can lead to a fairly good wallup, harder than a normal paintball at any range. That being said, I'd be down with them if everyone else was.

Insider
    You know, this whole issue begs for process design in gelatin - I don't see why one couldn't make the first strike "skirt" and then graft them on after (preferably with heat, but, you know, whatever.

The problem is, while the unit cost would collapse to close to that of a paintball, the Capex for every option I think of is way too high. The seam stays randomly oriented before skirt addition as well.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Insider
    You know, this whole issue begs for process design in gelatin
    My 3D printer uses PLA.... not gelatin, but for just testing purposes, simple and cheap.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Insider
    The one problem with those Sniper fins is that they add mass to the impact
    The mass of the fin is so little it is insignificant. That plus a modern paintball would still weight less than paint from 10 years ago and even added to old paint is less than the full allowed paintball weight.

While it would still have a 'harder' impact at distance, it still wouldn't exceed the allowed muzzle energy of a stock paintball at point blank range.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com