Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: GCode: open source paintball gun board/software

Any updates on this project?

Not currently. I had a kid in October and that's kept me pretty damn busy. I may get back to tinkering with this next year sometime.

Congrats on the new family addition!

Thanks!

Hate to resurrect an older thread, but has anyone tried this?

Right off the bat, the last schematic I can find here overdraws power from the Atmel MCU (exceeds the 40ma limit per pin for source). The schematic that I've found is rev0.1.

The bipolar NPN transistor in the schematic is not connected to anything. This is needed to prevent that overdraw. It also is the wrong type than what I would consisted optimal. I would expect to see a logic level MOSFET instead as I've seen on other boards. Otherwise, I would expect the MCU to fail and a ball not shot.

The code does compile and load into an atmega328 but the outputs driving the RGB LED did not seem correct. I need to drag out the logic analyzer out of the closet to see what's going on. I have to say that the structure of the code was done well.

Finally, I've read on replies about using Microchip MCUs. Those typical have lower maximum source from individual pins than Atmel. IIRC, probably about half or around 20ma.

I take it there is a newer revision of the schematic around that was used in the youtube videos for testing. Can anyone shed some light on what version is the latest?

Yeah, I'm not so good with schematics. I was trying to teach myself how to do those while I was working on this. I know code a lot better than electronics, so the hardware side of things definitely involves a lot of fumbling around on my part.

Unfortunately, that schematic is the best I've come up with so far. I guess it isn't a 100% match for what I actually have in my hardware setup. I'll see if I can go through it again and update it so it's accurate.

What did you mean by it overdrawing power from the MCU?

Quote Originally Posted by sumorai View Post

Once they're available, I'll just end up modifying my code to target Jamie's PaintDuino board by default, as that will be a better starting place for everyone.
    I did actually make a prototype of my open hardware PaintDuino board and it passed electrical test. I just got annoyed with all the "commercial" activity this thread inadvertently spawned and all the emphasis on making really tiny boards (that require other tiny boards and board to board wiring to work). My goal was to make an low cost Arduino compatible that anyone could program for themselves or even make for themselves if they can handle surface mount assembly. Gabe, I can send you my prototype to test your code on if you are still interested. Congrats on the new family member

Quote Originally Posted by moorejl57 View Post
    I did actually make a prototype of my open hardware PaintDuino board and it passed electrical test. I just got annoyed with all the "commercial" activity this thread inadvertently spawned and all the emphasis on making really tiny boards (that require other tiny boards and board to board wiring to work). My goal was to make an low cost Arduino compatible that anyone could program for themselves or even make for themselves if they can handle surface mount assembly. Gabe, I can send you my prototype to test your code on if you are still interested. Congrats on the new family member
    That'd be pretty damn fantastic. I'll shoot you a message.

And thanks! The little guy is just about 6 months old now, so we're actually getting sleep again.

moorejl57: This is the first I have heard of Paintduino, and now that I have I want to encourage you. I think it is great when paintballers make electronics for paintball purposes but I kept seeing stuff that is twice the cost of a Raspberry Pi or Arduino board. It got me thinking why would someone not try and modify those things as it would be cheaper and give you more options. I have 0 knowledge of PCB design which is a major reason I never did it, but it was frequently on my mind. So good for you. Extra great you are sending one to Sumorai.

Just checking in. I've had a couple people who are interested in this project get a hold of me lately, so I thought I'd bring some life back to this thread. I haven't had any time to spend on this in a long while now. I've got the PaintDuino board, and some code from Jamie to try out. If I can dig those things up (still unpacking from moving into our new house) I'll give 'em a shot soon.