Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: DNA Development Blog

Insider
    Oh pbjosh: I tested the board down to 2.9v and it ran no problemo.
    Sweet, thank you sir!

Supports Inception Designs
    aaand here it is! the OLED board came in today. I will be building it up over the next few days, I have GOT to get the bugs shaken out of the Morlock boards so I can start shipping them.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    aaand here it is! the OLED board came in today. I will be building it up over the next few days, I have GOT to get the bugs shaken out of the Morlock boards so I can start shipping them.

This looks awesome. Any idea when you'll have some sort of price? Itching to pick one of these up.
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by skibbo View Post
    This looks awesome. Any idea when you'll have some sort of price? Itching to pick one of these up.
    What do you plan to put it in

For me, it's going in my Evil M as a replacement for the Ego board I have right now

Quote Originally Posted by fullofpaint View Post
    For me, it's going in my Evil M as a replacement for the Ego board I have right now
    oh dear lord

Destroyed two of them trying to solder that damn .5mm pitch header.

DAMN that thing.

third one was the charm. I can't hand-solder that prat with any reliability, at least not without some more practice. I am putting together my own reflow soldering machine, always wanted to do that, all ya need is a toaster oven, a thermocouple, and a DNA board

So what is the holdup on Morlocks? I'll tell ya. I was all ready to put the whipped topping and cherry on top and ship them when I tried something I shouldn't have, I plugged it into a USB port on a machine OTHER than the one I was developing on. It did not work. not even close. It turned on but would not communicate.

After some hair-pulling I figured out that occasionally (about one in 30) times the communications fails, this is way more than enough to torpedo my 66-byte communications packet, and also explains why the device sometimes wouldn't even enumerate properly.

All I can figure is the V-USB software is a little flakey, and if the USB controller is marginal then it occasionally fails. great. so how do I do.. well ANYTHING with that factoid? How do I upload code which must be 100% perfectly accurate? fun little problem.

The good news is I think I have a solution, the amazing news is that when I realized what I had to do, it made the bootloader way simpler, and actually shrunk it by almost 128 bytes! I was able to free up two full pages of code for the user. it was a "DUH!" moment.

I am going to send a checksum with every command is all, and instead of sending whole code pages, I will send just one word at a time. A lot of round trips? well yeah but at 1.5mbit who cares. so the bootloader takes a few seconds to upload instead of instantly. pff.

When I did this I realized I no longer needed the data-stream marshalling code. so I pitched that. No longer needed the code checksum since I am checsumming every word that goes in. pitched that. No longer need to worry about addresses and positions since I can drive that on a transactional basis directly from the PC, and I don't need to worry about order since the nature of the solution is stateless! pitched all THAT code.

and *poof* new origin is at 0x1900 up from 0x18C0, interrupt handler-for-mac and all! Again I guess I am glad I had a plan to upload new bootloaders

I will need to wring this code out on different hardware to be sure it's going to work anywhere, but I suspect it will be no worse than the bargain-basement travel-hub I plugged it into on my 'upstairs' box. I'll keep you aware.

Button board fully checked out, once I get samples in of the new (lower profile) switch I want to use, and re-re-re-check the design I am going to order a pre-production run of 30 or so. same goes for the OLED board, I will have 10 ready for shipment in 45-60 days. Sorry for the delay on them but I am only one person! concentrating on getting Morlock/DNA boards out the door right now, and like the plan always was, the other boards will plug directly into it when they arrive

Insider
    Do you have a hot air rework station? I have a lot more luck with them, so much so that I turfed out my modified toaster oven. You can replace individual components and do double-sided work more easily.

I'm actually tempted to see if you could run an old Intimidator off this (either with a button board on the back or something else ingenious).

Since Tadao isn't producing anything right now, it could beat Virtue feature wise.

never worked with a hot-air rework station, which would you reccomend?