Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: DNA Development Blog

Supports Inception Designs
    So evidently Visual Studio 2013 DEPRECATED mbs based MFC apps.

everyone get that?

Means all code compiled under Visual Studio must be wide-character compliant (16-bit characters that include more than 128 ASCII characters). no longer an option to have multi-byte strings (mbs).

So I have to convert over a bunch of code from the morlock configurator in order to compile it. Not that much work, maybe an hour, but frustrating that I have to do it at all.

Getting back to base setup and getting the morlock dev platform in my head has been a challenge, I'm doing a bit each day. DAMN I wrote a lot of stuff for this. My objective now is to get the full button/OLED/morlock functionig together. You see they never really did. The morlock ys, button board, easy. and OLED yes that was not too tough once I got over the challenges. But together? not so much. so there is that.

I think there is a lot of value in just the morlock with the graphical tuning software though, so I will be talking with Simon and seeing if we can offer that for sale soonest.

-Curt

Insider
    I would certainly pick that up for my emag project. If it was able to be upgraded to oled compatible at a later date that would be gravy...

Anyways, I know what a day job can do to a project so I will continue to wait as long as you think the project still has legs.

Glad to see this moving forward again.

Curt, wondering if you're aware that Atmel released an updated version of the ATtiny84 chip last year.

ATtiny841 (Data Sheet)

Two Hardware UARTs
    Hardware SPI
    Hardware I2C
    64 Channel 10bit ADC
    Two Analog Comparators
    Two 16bit timers
    One 8bit timer
    6 PWM outputs for which you get to choose which of the 8 PORTA outputs is a PWM pin.

I understand that you chose to go the "one wire" bus route but was that because hardware SPI/I2C wasn't available? Also, with the addition of another 16bit timer with temperature calibration is the external oscillator still necessary?

I did not know they had released one! I will look into that, but it seems they still have a maximum speed of 8mhz internal so I will need the external clock, the USB implementation requires a 12mhz clock speed to work.

the reason I went with "one wire" was to minimize wire-count and be able to use a standard servo connector (and existing wire-harnesses) to interconnect peripherals, power, ground, bi-directional protocol

However a built-in I2C implementation would be WONDERFUL compared to what is on the 84, which is pitiful. They include a shift register and some auto clock generation and thats it. IN their own words "these features allow you to implement I2C in fewer instructions than you otherwise would" in other words "we totally phoned this in, you will still have to do a brute-force bit-banged implementation of I2C, but now its going to be more complicated and require you to look up more datasheets, in order to save an opcode or two" whee.

spare me.

re-familiarized myself with the bootloader code and pretty sure things are back to where I left them off. pretty sure because despite my best efforts, I still pooched the bootloader-loader when I uploaded it and bricked a board. Will have to bust out the Dragon programmer for high-voltage. yay.

At least I know what I did wrong.

Managed to drop a blob of solder on my Dragon HV programmer. $60 down the tubes.. ordered another one priority from Digi-Key, but that doesn't keep me from developing. I have a release candidate for the morlock and continue working on the menu-system for the OLED/Button combo. its slow going but I am adding a few menu items each day.

Replacement Dragon arrived today, wired it up and it works just fine. Un-bricked the boards and spent the evening re-hammering the bootloader and bootload_loader out (the second is a program with the first embedded in it, so I can upload a new bootloader)

back to the OLED..

Okay have the buttons board under control. Although my test-frame is a bit crowded. I am definitly going to need someone who is NOT me and has the ability to machine a something-like-custom frame for me.

The menus look really cool, I added a dithering/magnification effect to it for navigating menus. heck I bet I can show you.. I'll see if I can produce something for tomorrow.

Hey Curt, was thinking about it.. And if .1ms dwell fidelity is too much, is .5 any better? I think that .5ms would be fine for most markers, and if its more in the realm of doable, then all the better..

Ya take a look at the PE LCD boards(ETHA, ETEK).
    They use a register for whole BPS and a partial. I.e. 12.5 would be 12(register 1) and 5(register 2).