Thread: Got board did some polishing

Got board did some polishing

I found some old brass parts I had kicking around and after seeing some great examples I thought I'd give polishing a try. Major thanks to ryan hall and the guys over on mcb custom corner for walking me through it.

supplies

• Sand Paper (600/1200)
    • Brass Polish (mothers or flitz)
    • Water
    • Cleaner Towels
    • Brass Pneumatics

Steps
    1. Rinse your pneumatics with water
    2. Start wet sanding with 600-800 grain sand paper. Wiping off the grime as you go.
    3. After you finish sanding with 600-800 grit sandpaper, start wet sanding with 1200 grain paper.
    4. After you are finished sanding with the 1200 grit sand paper, rinse, wipe, and let the pieces dry.
    5. After they are dry get a clean microfiber towel or cleaner cloth and start applying polish. (I used mothers because I couldn't find flitz).
    6. Let the compound turn almost black/ grimy on the parts. Then proceed to wipe them off with another cleaner cloth.
    7. After most of the compound is off I rinsed the parts to get it off hard to get places (barbs). When I did it some got inside the 3 way so I push the 3 way rod all the way through a few times and wiped it clean.

Before:

After:

Supports Inception Designs
    Looks nice!

Brass is one of the coolest materials used in paintball.
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Thanks man. I agree.

Brass is awesome. Just wish it wasn't so dense

Polishing is a bitch but can be very rewarding. There is no greater ano finish then something that has been mechanically polished to a mirror finish before the anno. That deep lustre is just awesome.

Indeed. I'm going to try again today and chuck them in the drill. Remove the barbs. Couldn't yesterday because baby was napping.