Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving Goblin Cartridges

Supports Inception Designs

Improving Goblin Cartridges

Anyone have ideas on improving the Goblin shells? The ones I had were always incredibly inconsistent and never seemed to work right. A self contained valve is a great idea and would allow some crazy magfed/milsim markers. Plus we could redo the Mod85
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Insider
    I think Simon has magazines for the Mod 85. I plan to put a souped-up JT US-50 inside it (without modifying the 85 shell at all) though I'll have to roll my own mags.

Dude it cost me $50 by the way, I've paid more for Spyders
    Last edited by neftaly; 08-10-2013 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
    I think Simon has magazines for it by the way. I plan to put a souped-up JT US-50 inside it (without modifying the Mod 85 shell at all) though I'll have to roll my own mags.

Dude it cost me $50 by the way, I've paid more for Spyders
    Damn. That's a great price for one, even though you'd need mags normally. I've always loved the Mod85's just because they're so cool. The US-50 would be pretty sweet to put into the body.

Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

The Brocock air cartridge system has been the best air cartridge system I have seen. They are a very simple design and can hold as much as 3000 psi. Yes 3000 psi. The guns are no longer made but they used real guns that were modified to use the cartridge.

Another good place to start also is airsoft cartridges.

Here is some info:

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/...artridges.html
    Last edited by ccmachinist; 08-10-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmachinist View Post
    The Brocock air cartridge system has been the best air cartridge system I have seen. They are a very simple design and can hold as much as 3000 psi. Yes 3000 psi. The guns are no longer made but they used real guns that were modified to use the cartridge.

Here is some info:

Thanks Bill.

I'll see what I can dig up on them.

Quick google search yielded a decent amount of info.

They're incredibly similar to a goblin cartridge.

These guys sell them

German roughly translated as:
    "Brocock compressed air cartridge with compressed air after the shot"

From here

Yellow text reads "Pellet loaded here after charging"

Treasure Trove
    Last edited by skibbo; 08-10-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Simon, maybe this belongs in Community Projects.

Made a new thread that pertains more to the Model 85 here.

I would think that the essentials are:
    Check valve (to prevent flow out after filling)
    Piston/Spool valve to fire.

Combining these into a small package without copying Goblin's idea may prove to be a challenge. Another idea would be to make shells (a la CCM's SR-1) and have air flow through them to shoot the paintball out.

I just picked this up at wal mart. It is a gas thru shell system. It works well and that is why I used the same system in the SR1. The GTS is very consistent shot to shot but now you need a valve and everything that goes with it.This system has been used in airsoft since Daisy first introduced it in the late 80's I think.

The best self contained I have found has been primer based like the Mod 85 or wax bullets. You just can't beat powder to deliver the smallest self contained package.

It is probably the most efficient and smallest form of a kinetic energy system that is made.

I have been doing this for about 40 years or so. I just need to figure out how to do it with paintball and not fall under any firearm laws. I know the Mod 85 does but that is a complex system compared to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo-y3lC5864

Quote Originally Posted by ccmachinist View Post

Another good place to start also is airsoft cartridges.

Here is some info:

I used to have a bunch of these when I lived in England. They were actually stopped because people were converting them to take real rounds and thus become firearms, so the law eventually came down on them.

They were a lot of fun, especially for realism, but not that great for really shooting.

Even those air cartridges had issues with leaks, reliability and consistency. As cool as the concept is, I am just not a fan of it.

air cartridge

I bought one of their Model 1873 cowboy gun. These things ran about $700 us. It works fine I just never shot it extensively. It was a lot of work to shoot .22 caliber but that is not why I bought it. I wanted to see how they did it.

I think rap4 did a pretty good job on their little "cup" shells. I have a couple of their 43 caliber MP5-ish guns and they spit them out so fast its hard to realize it.
    The Mod85 is the same way.

Here is a link I posted up a while back on MCB on the air cartridge systems that I got while I was looking for a cartridge that would work with my rifle.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...mad-max-2.html