Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOD85 Update/TPX Mac-10

Supports Inception Designs

MOD85 Update/TPX Mac-10

Summary: TPX internals may fit into a modified MOD85 body, but the easiest would most likely just be a simple redesign of the TPX body to resemble the Mod85/Mac10/Mini-Uzi. The MOD85s themselves are pretty rare, and cutting the bodies up would be quite sad. They're polymer so 3D printing or assembly with simple components (Square tubes, flats, etc) would be pretty easy.

The Stark Zetamags could be used, or full length 20 round mags could be used as well.

So I've always loved the Mod85. The closest I ever got to one was seeing Weltman get shot at LL4 at CPX.

Neftaly dropped shipped one to me so I could take a look at it before shipping the body over to him.

Since I have Bill's TPX apart to finish the CAD for the Brutus pistol, I decided to see how close things would fit.

Quick pictures (used my phone since I couldn't find my SD card for the camera)

Internals are close, utilizing the flip top still would be awesome.

Magwell is close as well, not a drop in for the TPX mags into the MOD85 however.

Size comparison

Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I love the concept. I have a model 85 myself and it is a cool body style.
    They look awesome. I feel cooler just holding onto the body. I think something like this would be really simple to do as well. Could either keep the flip top design or go with a more traditional clamshell. Only issue I can forsee is that the TPX mags wouldn't work (I don't think) since you'd want the magwell at 90* and not at the standard .45 frame (65ish*)

Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

I'd cheat it so that the mags did work. Keep the inside angles the same, but adjust the grip to be more vertical. You wouldn't be able to get it perfect, but maybe close enough. The body is probably going to need to be longer also to hide the 12g.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I'd cheat it so that the mags did work. Keep the inside angles the same, but adjust the grip to be more vertical. You wouldn't be able to get it perfect, but maybe close enough. The body is probably going to need to be longer also to hide the 12g.
    Sure. Could have it where the mag inserts more towards the rear of the marker at an angle. Basically hollow out the frame hum and allow the mag to slide up in there.

The body would have to be a little bit longer, but I think that keeping the rest of the proportions correct it would look nice.

Tabled this for a bit, but I should have time soon to keep going on a design.

I'm thinking that keeping the mag straight instead of cheating will be pretty sweet. Plus I'm pretty sure it's doable with the Zeta Mags.

Here's what I have so far, body needs work still.

I'm thinking a clamshell design for the internals, and then have that go into the body. Keeps the coolness of a flip top, but simplifies things a lot.

I'd love to have it where the cocking handle moves with each shot, but that would require changing the TPX internals (or at least adding a pin and connecting arm to the bolt)

So I'm pretty set on having this be a Zeta mag only mod, increased capacity and it'd look better. They look nice vertically as well (see below)

Here's a cool thread using the Zeta mags

I have been wanting to do a TMP/MP9 from the TiPX for the longest time. I have an airsoft GBB MP9 to work from, but I think it's just too different for it to work as a drop-in body.

A MAC-10 style marker from the TiPX inernals is do-able as well. Ideally, a metal body is the better way to go with that, and potentially make it a top/bottom clamshell vs a left-right.

Here's a stripped, authentic MAC-10 upper body. http://www.usmachinegun.com/proddeta...od=M10SMG-0119 I think it would be fairly trivial to fabricate or 3D print a lower receiver that would mate to a block such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by HipboyScott View Post
    I have been wanting to do a TMP/MP9 from the TiPX for the longest time. I have an airsoft GBB MP9 to work from, but I think it's just too different for it to work as a drop-in body.

A MAC-10 style marker from the TiPX inernals is do-able as well. Ideally, a metal body is the better way to go with that, and potentially make it a top/bottom clamshell vs a left-right.

Here's a stripped, authentic MAC-10 upper body. http://www.usmachinegun.com/proddeta...od=M10SMG-0119 I think it would be fairly trivial to fabricate or 3D print a lower receiver that would mate to a block such as this.
    Yeah. I was thinking a 2 part upper clamshell with a flip top main body (with magwell/trigger frame) so that the internals would be separate but still contained.

It'd be pretty easy to fabricate a body (at least prototype) out of plastic sheet/extruded plastic shapes since the mac-10 isn't complicated. Otherwise 3d print and soft mold (Simon's plan for the Pico shells) is an alternative as well.

I would love to see how a softmold part works with the TiPX internals compared to the ABS. It would make it a VERY easy way to produce limited special-edition TiPXs. I also wonder about using PLA prints as a direct plug for investment casting of aluminum. Check out this page for the inspiration: http://3dtopo.com/lostPLA/

Tho, for relatively little I can upgrade my printer to a heated build plate and just 3D print direct to ABS which would probably hold up reasonably well on its own.
    Last edited by HipboyScott; 08-18-2013 at 06:20 PM.