Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mech Ego/Combining 3 Ways

Supports Inception Designs

Mech Ego/Combining 3 Ways

So I've been trying to figure out a better way to do a mechanical Ego (probably an 06 since they have exposed QEV's) than my first attempt, which didn't work since the 4/5-way (I don't remember what it was) valve I had was 200% too big for the frame.

So here's what I'm thinking:

Combine two three ways (kinky). One would be the SMAV-3 (for the trigger) and the other would possibly be the PAV-3 (pilot valve)

PAV-3 catalogue page

SMAV-3 catalog page

I'm not familiar with the PAV-3 to know if it would work or not, but if it wouldn't I figure some sort of 3 way should.

The operation (as I would want it) is as follows:

1) Air enters SMAV-3, flows through it to the front QEV, holding the rammer back.
    2) Trigger is pulled back, activating SMAV-3
    3) Air flows through from front QEV/air source through SMAV-3 to the N.C./N.O. Exh and into the pilot valve
    4) Pilot valve activated
    5) Air flows through PAV-3 to rear QEV, moving the rammer forward and firing the marker.
    6) Trigger is released
    7) PAV-3 vents air to atmosphere
    8) Air enters SMAV-3, flows through it to the front QEV, holding the rammer back.
    9) Cycle is ready to repeat

Here's a quick sketch of what I figured would work:

Any ideas on if it's feasible?
    Mech Ego.jpg
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

it should be. the noid is just an electronic 4-way(generally speaking of course), that moves air from one point to another.

either you can use the same methods as a cocker(physically moving the 4-way switch with the trigger), or a pneumag. its only air after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    it should be. the noid is just an electronic 4-way(generally speaking of course), that moves air from one point to another.

either you can use the same methods as a cocker(physically moving the 4-way switch with the trigger), or a pneumag. its only air after all.
    Yeah. Previously I was going to use a MSV-2 and Clippard 4 way, but the 4 way was crazy huge. For any other application than a grip frame (normal pneumatics) it'd be fine, but they were too big for paintball.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the dwell and max ROF, but it'd be mech so I wouldn't expect crazy ROF out of it anyways.

Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

the dwell part of it is what bothers me. maybe figure out how much air is used to push the ram forward, make a dump chamber(adjustable sized would be nice) use the smav or something similar to move a valve. the valve would need to in a resting position have air travel to the front of the ram, have air travel to the dump chamber, and exhaust air from the rear of the ram. when valve activated it would need to channel air from the dump chamber to the rear of the ram, exhaust air from the front of the ram, block air from traveling to the dump chamber.

I've done it with my etek with both a 3 way and a 4 way. You won't hold the poppet open, but you can short stroke. 3 way set it up with an air spring. 4 way set up like a regular solenoid.

Its lots of fun.

If you could come up with a way to make the valves latching it would be cool, mechanical timing.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
    I've done it with my etek with both a 3 way and a 4 way. You won't hold the poppet open, but you can short stroke. 3 way set it up with an air spring. 4 way set up like a regular solenoid.

Its lots of fun.
    Right. I was going over the old thread on MCB whre you gave me some good info/pointers already. Just a matter of figuring out what parts will fit into the frame.

A Mac 43 is really easy to make mechanical, and fits into some of the frames (I've put one into an Etek and an 05 Ego, but not as a mech).

Quote Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
    A Mac 43 is really easy to make mechanical, and fits into some of the frames (I've put one into an Etek and an 05 Ego, but not as a mech).

interesting. how would you make it mech? I'm not that familiar with them.

I'll check out the catalog page.

so just going by this picture of the '43 (from zdspb)

If I was able to tap the "manual" area or just remove the armature area and have an air input from there; and then use a trigger (MSV-2 or SMAV-3 (good to have an exhaust)) I think it could be made manual.

y0da any input?