Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Systems approach to the paintball player population

Maybe a helping hand for tournaments, and something that would be fun to watch, would be to adopt a version of Viper's velocity rules: Electronic guns max 260fps, mechanical semi max 280fps, pumps max 300fps. In addition, require at least two guns per team per point to be mechanical... and none of that RT silliness.

Or, it could just be that I tend to look for any reason to shake up the status quo in paintball wherever I can. I'm going to be pitching an idea to an area field over the off season to run a "Now for something completely different" tournament series. We're going to have (if he buys into it) a different concept at each event, and I'd be willing to bet folks will have a ton of fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    Maybe a helping hand for tournaments, and something that would be fun to watch, would be to adopt a version of Viper's velocity rules: Electronic guns max 260fps, mechanical semi max 280fps, pumps max 300fps. In addition, require at least two guns per team per point to be mechanical... and none of that RT silliness.

Or, it could just be that I tend to look for any reason to shake up the status quo in paintball wherever I can. I'm going to be pitching an idea to an area field over the off season to run a "Now for something completely different" tournament series. We're going to have (if he buys into it) a different concept at each event, and I'd be willing to bet folks will have a ton of fun with it.
    i love the idea of a mixed tech league. that would be even better then limiting paint IMO. love to see like a 5 man, 2 electros, 2 mechs, and a pump or something like that. be really interesting to see the loadouts, and the strategies. i would also really put a difference on each playing position.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

In a couple minutes of spare time (haha) here at work, I jotted down enough ideas to run a full-on series, 5 events and a final event I'd use as a "come play, have fun, and then we'll do some trophies at the end" sort of thing. Each event is very different. Now I just have to sell the field owner on it.

I have to agree with Simon about ions. No margins and too much firepower for the unskilled masses.

IMO the classic issue has been the first part of that combination. Say what you want, but firepower is a selling point of paintball. I love pumps and mechs, but that is an appreciation that many people don't share till they mature in the sport. Take away firepower and you will be taking away a big marketing thrill factor.
    T
    So back to my main point... Margins, margins, margins. Paintball as a retail business absolutely blows! Unless you are the sole retailer in a million customer market, most fields don't make shit from retail. I have made more in tips as a pizza delivery driver in one night than my local shop made off retail sales in a week. This is a fact of business that makes potential new field/shop owners walk away. If you want more players, make the business more profitable through either higher margin retail, innovative events that engage new customers and promote return traffic, or automation of tasks that are labor intensive but contribute to better customer experience.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i love the idea of a mixed tech league. that would be even better then limiting paint IMO. love to see like a 5 man, 2 electros, 2 mechs, and a pump or something like that. be really interesting to see the loadouts, and the strategies. i would also really put a difference on each playing position.
    I could see the strategy switching to eliminating electro's first, mech 2nd and pump last. First team down 2 electro's would be at a big disadvantage at that point.