Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinion: what's in a name? An app by any other name would crash as well..

Supports Inception Designs

Need opinion: what's in a name? An app by any other name would crash as well..

So the current architecture for servicing the DNA board is a loader app which I call.. well.. loader. (loader.exe if you insist)

Now for legal-ish reasons I am keeping the DNA board separate from the Morlock code. They are in separate repositories, but obviously share all the functionality. There is a Morlock app, which I call.. well okay morlock.exe and I'm okay with that, but as (I think ion?) suggested, I would like to have that app serve as just a front-end to the loader which will do all the work. Work like fetching EEPROM constants, setting them, loading code/data/telemetry etc etc.

I can make those operations pretty blind "get X bytes from Y location in EEPROM" no problem, and still keep the apps semantically separate.

My problem is the name. Loader. it's not anymore. never really was, that was just closest. I am a big fan of naming things properly, if you have read any of my code, I hope it shows that I go to great pains to name things intuitively and descriptively. In fact one of "Curt's Fundamental Rules of Programming" (#3)* is to name things the first descriptively correct thing you think of, since when you try to remember it later, it is likely the first thing you will guess.

SO.

Loader is no longer a good name. I am soliciting suggestions for what I SHOULD call it. So far nothing I have come up with seems to quite fit.

dna_loader? no
    dnaapp? yuck
    rna? taken, and quite sufficiently
    gene? bad
    biosphere? worse
    ecology? even worse and silly.
    chromosome? not... bad.. try typing it 50 times a day

BAH.

DNA board at dealer cost to anyone who makes a suggestion I end up using.

* In case you are wondering, there is a #1 rule and it is the ONE RULE. Define things in ONE place. Write functionality ONCE. do work ONCE. never duplicate constants or functionality. make it a define or a function. If you think you have a problem that is solved by an exception to this rule, then you now have two problems.

Insider
    Loading information into DNA?

Call it Splice.

Insider
    Also, I'd love to see the complete rules list!

RNA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNA

I think its appropriate at least...

Quote Originally Posted by lappyx86 View Post
    RNA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNA

I think its appropriate at least...
    It is but taken already...

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    rna? taken, and quite sufficiently

call it Helix Coder

since DNA is a helix

I swear, I didn't see RNA on his list. What is RNA used for that would be in the market/applicable to worry about the name?

Helix Coder works IMO.

RNA is the bus/protocol that connects all the peripherals (think USB)

Splice is perfect, I love it, I'll leave the thread open in case anyone comes up with a better name but for now that's it.

Other ideas:

mutagen (makes changes to the DNA)
    DNASequencer
    Xeno (xenomorphs from aliens)