Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learn CAM/CNC, or leave it to the professionals?

Learn CAM/CNC, or leave it to the professionals?

So I'm a bit envious of Simon's at-home CNC ability, and seeing the options that opens up is hugely inspiring. But... it also makes me reflect:

Essentially I never learned G-code as a designer and now I'm starting to feel a bit of roadblock because of it. I can model just about anything with a variety of software packages, but it's the application of that data downstream where I start hanging up.

I've been tinkering with a lot of small projects I want to get made, both personally and through Stark: and I've got the ability to 3D print whatever I want in-house, but taking things to the next level: subtractive metal and what-not... I'm a bit stuck. I don't have the funds to buy a large CNC machine of my own, but dealing with local job shops tends to be a long ordeal in frustration and run-around unless I'm sitting on the money to run a few hundred parts...

Well sometimes i have an idea and I want to make 1-20 prototypes and maybe its an item where we only need 100 ever. You know how paintball is.

Well, it's getting frustrating to have designs ready to go in the can and not have a few grand sitting on the side ready to turn the key. (I bet that some will argue until I actually have toolpaths and everything figured out it's not really turn key... but lets say for sake of argument that the technical design/engineering/whatever is at a point ready to be translated for production.)

So my question is, does anyone have any suggestions on what the best arrangement for low-batch paintball-related part production is? I have access to a Bridgeport, but its old, not the most well maintained unit, and has no digital anything. I can use a manual mill pretty good but I'm not exactly patient/skilled enough to turn out production-level parts. I have a very nice set of Sherline mini mill and mini lathe which I am thinking of installing a CNC kit on, but if you have ever seen those units you know they would struggle at anything of significant size so I feel I can't rely on just those.

Do you think, for other than my own curiosity and education, I would be saving myself any trouble when it comes to making small batches of parts by taking the time now to learn G-Code or a program like Mach 3, and then learning how to setup a working mill/shop? Or am I better off for now getting good relationships built up with a small job shop with full-size equipment and capabilities to do what I need at a relatively low cost?

Ultimately I'm thinking I would like a Tormach or similar-sized CNC unit; the capabilities of a bridgeport but without the bulk and overhead of running a used 80's CNC bad boy like a Haas. If I had the resources for something like that, I'm sure at that time it would be worth diving into the world of toolpaths and code and optimization... but until that day... I don't know.

Ultimately I know the costs of doing it myself are steep at first but will work themselves out over time. But as a designer I don't know if I also really want to be my own manufacturer anyway, or if I'd rather stick to making prototypes and let the professionals do their job.

I know its complex and there's no right answer for everyone, but, I've been against this wall for a while now, so any suggestions or life lessons or resources you guys have would be super helpful.
    Last edited by HipboyScott; 09-05-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Without a doubt learn CNC. Learn a software package and don't worry about the code, that will come as you create programs and want to run them or edit them.

You can get table top CNC machines, and many of the guys here have them and create awesome things with them.

Two things I will never regret in my life are learning CAD and CAM. Knowing the kind of person you are... you will love it.

Being able to simply make your own parts is an amazing thing whether it is 3D printing or machining. You will also get better at designing from it and understand what you need to do to have the big machines shops make your parts faster and for less.

I agree with Simon - the harder question will be which package or combination of packages will fit your needs the best.

Insider
    You're right, your 3D models are a small part of actually having a part programmed and tweaked and ready to to make parts. And not to mention machine set up, designing and machining fixtures. (Not meant to discourage, just the facts)

You should learn G-code but a CAM package will get you making parts without complete knowledge of how to write it. You still need to know how to machine parts so you can program the tool paths, CAM wont do that for you.

Everyone that advised me me stay away from cnc knee mills and table top cnc's get a big high-five! Just like anything, once you love what you're doing you want bigger, faster and better so for me it was money better spent buying a HAAS VF2 right from the start, my only regret is not buying more options, to make it better and faster!!

I agree with getting the best machine you can afford, but if you can't afford a VF2 that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a desk top mill

I also agree with getting many of the features you can. I WISH I had through spindle coolant on my mill, but I don't

So, anyone have any advice re: CAM packages that are good to learn?
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Tough question.

I feel that they all have issues, and it's down to price and what you are doing with them.

The most common are Mastercam, but it's getting out of date fast.

Luke uses One CNC and I have been using GibbsCAM.

I can't say I have ever been 100% happy with any solution.

Tebis is phenomenal for milling but being rapidly caught up with, especially for the price. Delcam used to be great and is apparently better now, but it's not common in the USA.

I'm in the same situation just a smaller scale, I am learning mastercam as part of my schooling but I have talked to quite a few different machinists and instuctors and for my area at least alot of manufacturers are switching over to gibbscam if that helps?

Insider
    Like Simon said I use OneCNC, it certainly is not not top of the heap, but it's an affordable CAD/CAM package to get you going. Like any program you have to learn what NOT to do, once you get that it's a pretty good program. There are no yearly fees and you own the software. If you want to sell your seat it's your to do so with 'factory' support for the new owner. They give upgrade discounts for new versions for owners of old software, all you have to do is pay the difference between the old version and the new one.

Plus there is a private forum just for owners, you can get quick answers for anything that has you stumped or that's giving you trouble. I've never had a problem (or confusion) gone unanswered.
    Last edited by Luke; 09-06-2013 at 11:30 PM.

I used to talk with a lot of people that used powerful design workstations in the past and you are the only one that used Tebis.
    With that said, you did make a lot of cool shit with it. So, I guess it is for sure worth a look.