Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Learn CAM/CNC, or leave it to the professionals?

It's really too expensive for all but the largest job shops and auto and aerospace companies probably. Phenomenal software but so pricey.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Been a bit busy.

So if I go through with learning this all now, I guess I am left wondering what I should do then for a CNC package. I have a manual Sherline, and in my budget I'm gonna basically have to do a homebrew NEMA/controller install as the 'factory CNC kit' is more than I paid for the machine. We're talking about a few hundred bucks vs 2 grand. The lathe already has NEMA motors installed but I don't have a controller. Best case scenario I can find a way to share controllers between the two; but that limits me to running one at a time (probably not a bad idea regardless)

I guess my hesitation is that for me to DIY this stuff, it could be months of tinkering with cheap hardware. So I'm gonna have to really start on it right now. I've spent months tinkering just to get the 'ready out of the box' Makerbot Replicator 2 into a reliable machine, which still seems to always go back to caddywhompus whenever I get new filament of course... so I can only imagine the puzzle that setting up a CNC controller could be.

I'm kinda leaning towards Mach3, anyone got experience for/against that?

Insider
    As the saying goes, if you want a CNC, buy a CNC. If you want a project, make a CNC

I cut my teeth on huge gantry 5 axis machines so I don't have much insight into conversions or table top machines. I can believe that it makes sense to get as capable machine as possible within your budget and that may mean a conversion for your current manual machine.

I love my little VF2 but I still wish I had a full head system for the 5 axis instead of a trunnion that takes up so much bed space.

Wayne
    I'm actually pretty close to being in the OP's position. I have lots of things to make, but can only get so far as the CAD and then am limited to the manual machines at work on off days. I have a Sherline lathe at home, and just got an X2 mill a little bit ago. It's actually still bolted to the pallet since I don't have any room for it on a bench. Slowly making progress on making space, but can't decide if I want to make it a nice little mini mill, or CNC it up and be able to make the more elaborate smaller parts I have in mind.

With that would come the extra software to give me a start on the code and then something like Mach3 to run the machine. Lots of resources available online for help, but still hard to make the decision.

If in doubt, CNC it. My manual mill is little more than a fancy drill press now. You will love the benefits of a CNC even if it's a very basic set up.

Wayne
    Hmmm. Do want, but need to finish my pinball project so I can get some space back in the garage.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    My manual mill is little more than a fancy drill press now.
    I still have a lot of uses for my knee mill, but I also do a lot of different stuff not related to paintball or production. It really comes in handy and could never imagine my shop without one, its rare for me to go more than a few days without using it for something.

We use what amounts to a table top mill at work for production. On the software end we are using SolidWorks with VisualMill. Deffinitly not the top of the line, but they have good support and its affordable.

As for what we are making, we are using it to mill aluminum extrusion. Holes, slots etc that we used to do manually are now automated as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I WISH I had through spindle coolant on my mill, but I don't
    it makes a huge difference in production, we run a half inch and a three quarter turbo mill with TSC at 75-100% face engagement .1 in. deep in 6061 at around 12000 rpm and 120ipm, the three quarters ruff cycles soooooo fast

the only issue we run into is that small chips get past the reservoir main screen and end up filling the reservoir after a while, in turn this chokes off the pump reservoir and ends up starving the pumps

and doing deep hole drilling is nice with TSC cause it forces the chips right out the hole
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.