Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DNA field testing... Want to be part of it? This is the place to discuss it!

DNA field testing... Want to be part of it? This is the place to discuss it!

So here's something new

We are going to do an open thread for field testing and getting the DNA board up and running in a ton of different projects!

We may release some magic smoke in the process, but Curt and I think this will be fun and once again, unlike anything that's ever been shown in public for this industry.

As most of you who have been following the progress of the DNA board already know, this thing can be used for anything.

It IS being used to teach a class on robotics, it WILL run any of your old paintball guns, it WILL run any of your hoppers, it WILL run RC model systems. ANYTHING you/we can think of we can get this to do.

An initial few people have/will be receiving boards to start testing this out. THIS is the thread to discuss what is going on in.

If you want to be part of this group, and are willing to take the risk while we start out let me know. We will start out small and add people as we go.

Eventually we plan to sell boards to people via the forums and then give a 50% (YES 50%) refund (for a period of time) to people that help develop the code and post up code to help others. Once it has been verified to work, I will make the refund. Anyway, that's a little further into the future, but for now my toughest decision is which project to undertake first...

Do I put it in the first ever Lasoya Promaster? (Notice no serial numbers or warnings engraved)

Do I put it in a rare Spearhead Autococker with the first race frame I made? (to get rid of the connecting pin)

Do I put it in one of the first Halo B's from when I came to America with my nickname that the NPS team gave to me still on it?

Do I put it in an Inception Pico hopper which is one of the first samples off of soft tooling as we move towards production in the USA and hope to have them for sale?

Or do I put it in an old school Revy style loader just to see what we can make it do? (how about OLED on a Revy?)

Tough decisions huh?

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    If you want to be part of this group, and are willing to take the risk while we start out let me know. We will start out small and add people as we go.
    I will fully admit to being kind of "not so smart" when it comes to electronics. I'm not an engineer, I'm more an "add a battery, turn it on, and go play" kind of guy. Wish I wasn't, but there's only so many hours in the day. If you've got room for an "everyplayer" sort, I'd love to help. What sort of risk/investment are we looking at? At the moment, I've got my daughter's E1 framed Orracle and a 2k2 Dragon Timmy that would be good test beds, as well as Ethan's "vintage" DM4.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Do I put it in the first ever Lasoya Promaster? (Notice no serial numbers or warnings engraved)

Do I put it in a rare Spearhead Autococker with the first race frame I made? (to get rid of the connecting pin)

Do I put it in one of the first Halo B's from when I came to America with my nickname that the NPS team gave to me still on it?

Do I put it in an Inception Pico hopper which is one of the first samples off of soft tooling as we move towards production in the USA and hope to have them for sale?

Or do I put it in an old school Revy style loader just to see what we can make it do? (how about OLED on a Revy?)
    Yes.

Seriously though, I have a question - if it's versatile on the scale of Arduino, would Curt feel this is superior for testing code (with no intention of open sourcing it, obviously no discount) since it has lots of "paintball" hardware functions built in and is tiny enough to be portable.

Would the code then be easily portable to a production board using the same chip? Would this violate licenses in letter? In spirit?

I have Teensyduinos here but my feeling is going right from Arduino to production is too big a jump - if this could shorten a dev cycle I'm all over it.

Oled revy ftw

Count me in for helping out any way possible. I have several projects that have been waiting for this board. (E-typhoon, E-Blazer, B2k, promasters and autocockers) I'm excited to see this board come to fruition!

Supports Inception Designs
    Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Seriously though, I have a question - if it's versatile on the scale of Arduino, would Curt feel this is superior for testing code (with no intention of open sourcing it, obviously no discount) since it has lots of "paintball" hardware functions built in and is tiny enough to be portable.
    Of course! go for it! I am providing all the resources, source code, wiring and everything for exactly this reason. If you want to develop, I'll help you every way I can in terms of schematics, logic, and sample code. You can even use all the code I am releasing for whatever purpose you want, even if you never open source a single line.

Further, if your intention is to do something commercial, while I am reserving those kinds of rights with the code I am releasing, as long as your code is all original then knock yourself out. If you do need to use my SDK/resources, I assure you we can come to a very reasonable agreement. It is my intention to facilitate that kind of effort, not punish it.

Would the code then be easily portable to a production board using the same chip? Would this violate licenses in letter? In spirit?

I have Teensyduinos here but my feeling is going right from Arduino to production is too big a jump - if this could shorten a dev cycle I'm all over it.
    As I just said, if you are going to go commercial, no need to jump past the DNA, I can't talk specifics in public of course but I think you will be surprised at how much of a win for everyone just OEM-ing the DNA hardware would be. Even if not, use it with my blessing as a dev platform, so long as you don't use my open-source code.

Canadian Ambassador crazyfrenchbiker's Avatar
    Here's to the start of something amazing.

Curt, I'm glad to be a part of the project. I've started to add my board to an EGO09, any suggestions for a micro switch? I'd rather not remove the one from the board...

I like paintball.

d2f-l omron microswitch is the most common used in the paintball industry. ebay has them but they are expensive. digikey usually has them the cheapest.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfrenchbiker View Post
    soooo tiny