Thread: who feels like cringing

who feels like cringing

worst Ive done so far is run a tool into the soft jaws of our lathe at work, very loud but not terrible by any means

Ive heard of some very VERY serious crashes and hope I never experience any too serious
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

holy shit, that last one .... seriously!

fortunately when i break things at work, its small enough that its not dramatic. however this most of the time leads to a "how the fuck did this thing break?" problem.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

The first ones were pretty tame Yeah that last one was bad...

I've broken many tools off over the years.

Videos like that do make me cringe though.

Justin if all you have done is cut some soft jaws... you are welcome to come and run stuff in my shop anytime. Want some weekend work making cool stuff?

I definitely still gotta come check out your shop sometime Simon

my superior/mentor at work told me about a horrible 4th axis crash on a mazak he worked on a long time ago, basically worst case scenario, spindle dropped and rapid moved straight into the 4th axis and punched it off the table so hard it blew a hole through the machine cabinet, he didnt see it firsthand but he told me he came in the day after, if someone was standing where it ejected they would have died easily

he also told me about a lathe at dupont that tried to rapid a 2 inch boring bar straight through the side of the part when it was at full depth inside a part, said it was the loudest crash he has ever heard
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

You would be welcome any time. The shop is still coming together, but it's getting there!

I definitely make some cool stuff with the live tooling and 5 axis trunnion thats for sure. Surprised people what I am achieving with what I have.

See a few crashes that were bad.

Scariest thing I just missed was at Land Rover with a guy who went in to the huge dual gantry 5 axis to clean up while it was still running. A 2" diameter 12" long tool moved over on rapid and literally cut the shirt off his back. Still can't believe he got away with nothing more than a scratch.

Also had an 8" long 1.5" diameter tool and holder come out of a big machine at 10,000 RPMS. It bounced around for 5 mins before it stopped.

I had a cnc accident that would have made it in the video. Happened when I was learning. I know the limits of my machine now.

I've had one small crash so far, and with the exception of longer programs I usually run it with no tool loaded now just to make sure I don't do it again.

Distance to go is essential for proving out programs

If your machine has it that is