Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Inception barrel?

Anyone that has used both the deadly wind whip tip and a regular stella, is there a difference in sound signature? I know it's not a whole lot, but I've recently read people commenting that carbon fiber barrels have a sharper, "snappier" sound to them versus aluminum. I was just curious to see what you guys think. Just trying to make my torque as quiet as possible so I can be a sneaky ninja

I also know that the whip tip has less porting than the normal fronts, although only a slight amount.

Quote Originally Posted by syko89 View Post
    Any plans for a shorter front? So length with existing tips would be 10 12 14
    Ross (TheBoss33) can help you out with shorter fronts to whatever size you want. You can contact him here or via his website www.bosspaintballproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by white devil View Post
    Anyone that has used both the deadly wind whip tip and a regular stella, is there a difference in sound signature? I know it's not a whole lot, but I've recently read people commenting that carbon fiber barrels have a sharper, "snappier" sound to them versus aluminum. I was just curious to see what you guys think. Just trying to make my torque as quiet as possible so I can be a sneaky ninja

I also know that the whip tip has less porting than the normal fronts, although only a slight amount.
    I haven't run side to side with a DB meter. They do sound different though. People believe both are quiet, but it may be just a comparison to their previous barrels. I think the aluminium "sounds" softer which is a perception thing, but I think with this perception is often more "real" to the end user and their opponents than the DB number.

Thats what I thought. I know that they are both incredibly quiet, I was just asking as to the truthfullness of a carbon fiber's "pop" when compared to an aluminum.

Thanks for the quick reply. Also, how did those different tips sell at LL? I guess I must have missed the pics.

I have a suggestive comment for simon. With the deadlywind whip tips for the stella, there are no size markings on them like your stella back have. I know deadlywinds makes them, but figure your backing might bring around a change. I have the two sizes offered but had to mic them and then try to make a small marking so I could keep them straight. It would be nice to have professional, straight, and readable markings for the deadlywind whip tips for the stella. Just my two cents.

Is that last sniper still available?

Quote Originally Posted by white devil View Post
    Thats what I thought. I know that they are both incredibly quiet, I was just asking as to the truthfullness of a carbon fiber's "pop" when compared to an aluminum.

Thanks for the quick reply. Also, how did those different tips sell at LL? I guess I must have missed the pics.
    I have always found the Deadlywind barrels to be quieter than other CF barrels. Some CF barrels are loud! Like the old Sly ones. I am not sure how much of it is really the material and it would be hard to be sure unless we made identical barrels other than the material. It would be cool to do more testing on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingspider View Post
    I have a suggestive comment for simon. With the deadlywind whip tips for the stella, there are no size markings on them like your stella back have. I know deadlywinds makes them, but figure your backing might bring around a change. I have the two sizes offered but had to mic them and then try to make a small marking so I could keep them straight. It would be nice to have professional, straight, and readable markings for the deadlywind whip tips for the stella. Just my two cents.
    Yeah, I am going to speak more to Colin about this. You can tell when you have both and look at where they meet the aluminium. The larger bore has a slightly smaller gap there than the smaller bore. It would be nice to have an easier way to tell though.

Quote Originally Posted by mellen_hed View Post
    Is that last sniper still available?
    Yes it is. Send an e-mail to sales@inceptiondesigns.com if you would like it.

The aluminum tip definitely sounds quieter than the whip tip to me. I'm not able to quantify the difference in any way, it's just my perception of it.

I am by no means an engineer or a anything remotely related, but I would think the added 'meat' on the aluminum would deaden the sound/vibration a bit no? and CF being so rigid would vibrate a bit more?

But Simon is right, the DW barrels are awesomely quiet. I had an old 32# SSTL/CF hybrid that wasn't exactly the quietest thing on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I haven't run side to side with a DB meter. They do sound different though. People believe both are quiet, but it may be just a comparison to their previous barrels. I think the aluminium "sounds" softer which is a perception thing, but I think with this perception is often more "real" to the end user and their opponents than the DB number.
    I am making a trip to Fry's this weekend. Going to be grab a decibel meter and do some testing...

Sadly since moving to middle of no where, I have to plan my trips to fry's

Quote Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
    I am making a trip to Fry's this weekend. Going to be grab a decibel meter and do some testing...

Sadly since moving to middle of no where, I have to plan my trips to fry's
    Lol, awesome. I look forward to the results from that.

One thing I found fascinating when we first worked on the TM15 and I started doing a lot of research on making paintball markers quieter is how perception was often more important to people than the actual DB value.

Some sounds would register almost exactly the same DB's but would be perceived as "softer" because they were more drawn out. Short and sharper bursts at the same DB level were perceived as louder even though they weren't.

If I hadn't studied engineering I would have studied Psychology