Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Inception barrel?

Raw parts come without the o-rings installed but they are under the cap in the tube.

Black parts should have an 019 o-ring in both the front and back grooves of the backs. The Fronts should have an 018 o-ring to keep the tip very snug. The insert back has an 018 o-ring inside to hold the insert. I just double checked and was wrong earlier. It's been a tiring and stressful week dealing with renters at our old house who trashed the place.

Ugh. Renters who trash places should be beaten.

What cleaner would you recommend Simon? I managed to get some black gunk out with hot water lol.

And yeah I decided to grease the threads and orings it's only the arrow head tip I'm worried about, the hammer 7 tip fits on sufficiently with the original to snug it in place.

Hopefully I get to try this thing a try this Thursday night on the Geo and maybe the Axe

Ahh the tip is intentionally very tight with the o-ring fit. That was because I didn't want the tips coming loose accidentally and getting lost. You can swap that o-ring for a smaller one with no concerns. If there is accidentally an 019 on there instead of an 018 that would make it even tighter!

I find the best thing to clean paintball equipment is a mix of 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% water mix.

sorry if this has been asked and answered simon, but do you think there's any advantage to using the standard back over the freak back or does that really matter? If I get one I'd rather use it to it's potential (even though i doubt there's any noticeable performance differences)

Hey Trey, I never have any issue answering question. Feel free to ask as many as you like. I am all for having people be as educated about their purchasing choices as possible whether it's one of my items or some one else's that they choose to buy.

I believe and have seen from my testing that there is a big difference when using a well designed back bore as compared to a Freak insert system.

The freak kit was invented nearly 15 years ago https://www.google.com/patents/US769...=0CDQQ6AEwADgU and the concept that we haven't learnt anything more about barrels since then, or that paintball and the way we play hasn't changed is just untrue.

The Freak was a great kit in it's day, but it is outdated for the modern game with far more fragile paint and where players strive to get the most consistent and best results possible.

The early design work for the Stella barrel system comes from when I had just finished designing the Axe for Empire and we were using it with the Pro's and I knew they needed a better barrel system.

We did a huge amount of testing with barrels, breech sizes, bore sizes, bore lengths, clear barrels, entry into the barrel etc.

From shooting hundreds of thousands of reballs and real paintballs over a ballistics chrono with multiple bores and multiple lengths I found that with many different types of guns from the Axe, to the Luxe to the Ego etc. that the standard deviation in the velocity was smallest when the barrel was a slightly tighter bore and the bore length was 7.5-8" long. The standard deviation is the consistency of your gun, the smaller the standard deviation the more consistent and the closer you can run the gun to the velocity limit without shooting "hot". Having a higher velocity means you get more energy in the projectile and this gives you greater effective range and greater effective accuracy.

I also did a lot of testing with clear gun bodies and clear barrels to look at what causes paint to break. One thing that was obvious is that even the simple entry into the barrel is important. With a system like the freak, and especially when using a small bore to accommodate the tiny modern paint, there is more of a step into the barrel from the breech. This step can be important. If it is squarer of sharp (have you check the edge of many freak inserts lately?) then it can catch the seam and start ripping the ball apart as it is loaded. This results in barrel breaks. We caught one such occurrence on the high speed camera and it was pretty amazing to watch. After rounding the entry to the barrel and even trying to line up the balls in the worst way possible we couldn't get it to happen again.

Also with a freak because they are so thin and soft it's hard to keep them in good condition, I have seen many with dings in the edges that break paint, or that are squeezed out of round. Having been responsible for making Freak inserts at Empire it's also not so easy to keep a good size tolerance because of the thin walls. I have seen this in other manufacturers of the inserts also.

Having a barrel be efficient makes better use of the gas released for each shot. A shorter back like the freak means you have to have a higher pressure gas burst, or a longer one, in order to get velocity. This can be harder on the paint also. If you have a barrel that gets greater velocity just by swapping out the barrel, this means you can turn the gas burst down on the gun (dwell or pressure) and this gives you more shots AND is easier on the paint.

I've been working in the pits over the last few years and taken guns that were breaking the most fragile tournament paint in a Freak barrel, swapped the barrel out for the Empire Sniper barrel, turned the gun down to keep the SAME velocity and then had that player no longer break any paint.

In short I think there are advantages to using full backs rather than the insert system. The insert system is really just available for those people that already have a ton of inserts and it's their "gateway" into a barrel with full backs.

Great write up. I try to educate people of what makes a barrel good VS what makes a barrel great. Unfortunately paintball is full of very loyal/fanboy customers and don't want to believe anything you tell them.

Last edited by BTAutoMag; 04-12-2014 at 09:02 PM.
    Automags.org - Home of the mild mannered, helpful automag people.

I believe it will, but I haven't tested to be 100% sure. I should have the first of my Apex tips done this week too. They won't have labels on the tubes, but I can make some of them available to forum members

awesome!!!
    Automags.org - Home of the mild mannered, helpful automag people.