Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Inception barrel?

Did a quick shooting test in my back yard. It isn't the best of idea place to test sound. I think some were higher than it should. But u can tell the freak is definitely louder but the rest.

Here are the numbers:
    Dye SS Boomstick (.689) 70.8dBa
    CCM CF (.681) 70.9dBa
    Stella (.680) 70.9dBa
    Freak (.682) 73.4dBa
    Lurker 1 piece (.678) 75.0dBa (I think it should be closer to Freak. It might be picking up the ball hitting the ground).

I'll do a better test sometime this weekend.

I assume Kryptonite sniper? Where was the meter?
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I assume Kryptonite sniper? Where was the meter?
    It was a 2004 CCM J2 with the newer CCM cup seal.
    The mic was positioned near where my face would be slightly left and behind the bolt pull pin. To simulate the sound level by my ears.
    Keep in mind this was just a test of the equipment.

I am going to put the mic at the front of the barrel when I do the actual test.
    Last edited by noclue119; 07-01-2014 at 06:17 PM.

I am trying to get some poppit and spool to test as well.

Quote Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
    The mic was positioned near where my face would be slightly left and behind the bolt pull pin.

Yeah, I was just curious. Definitely looking forward seeing what you get.

Might be interesting to put the meter at different locations relative to the porting/tip, not really sure what impact that will have on signature but it seems likely it's relevant.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Yeah, I was just curious. Definitely looking forward seeing what you get.

Might be interesting to put the meter at different locations relative to the porting/tip, not really sure what impact that will have on signature but it seems likely it's relevant.
    I did test one. If I put the sound meter 1 foot in font of the barrel, the Peak DB was on average 1-2 dbs higher
    Last edited by noclue119; 07-02-2014 at 11:08 AM.

We did a video with and without a front on a Stella (some of you guys have already seen it ). It was really more to find out if you'd lose velocity rather than noise, but there were two unintentional sound related things that happened during the shoot. First, the perceived noise without the front was much greater, and the gun seemed to "bark" more noticeably. Second, the camera picked up basically none of that. On the video, the sound isn't all that different.

Quote Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
    Did a quick shooting test in my back yard. It isn't the best of idea place to test sound. I think some were higher than it should. But u can tell the freak is definitely louder but the rest.

Here are the numbers:
    Dye SS Boomstick (.689) 70.8dBa
    CCM CF (.681) 70.9dBa
    Stella (.680) 70.9dBa
    Freak (.682) 73.4dBa
    Lurker 1 piece (.678) 75.0dBa (I think it should be closer to Freak. It might be picking up the ball hitting the ground).

I'll do a better test sometime this weekend.

The mic was positioned near where my face would be slightly left and behind the bolt pull pin. To simulate the sound level by my ears.

Did some more test this weekend with a J2 and a GSL. With the mic in front of the barrel by 2 inches.

I don't have the exactly numbers here (friend took the video)
    The Dye SS was almost 3 dbs quieter than anything else.
    The Lurker was second
    Freak and Stella was very close
    And CCM CF was way down on #5.

I did make sure each shot was around 295-303 FPS.

I think I might have skewed my results by imprecisely holding the sound meter in front of the barrel.

I need to more precisely mount the sound meter.
    I also need to measure from 3 different locations. First would be 20 feet from the end of the barrel, second measurement should be 5 feet from the end of the barrel and third will be done at end back of the gun. This would give me the best set of data.
    Last edited by noclue119; 07-07-2014 at 02:36 PM.

Insider
    Having them at a distance is going to be better - you want to be out of the "near field" (~2 wavelengths), as a rule of thumb 3 feet is a decent starting distance for hearing relevant stuff. Otherwise, your positional variability is going to matter a lot (standing wave type stuff more likely).

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Having them at a distance is going to be better - you want to be out of the "near field" (~2 wavelengths), as a rule of thumb 3 feet is a decent starting distance for hearing relevant stuff. Otherwise, your positional variability is going to matter a lot (standing wave type stuff more likely).
    That is what I figured. I am learning as I go here so please bear with me. The numbers seems to be very interesting. Some were very consistent and some were all over the place(CCM CF had almost 2 DB variation).

I think I'll do the 5 feet test and behind the gun test(where my ear would be).

The only thing i can think of is making sure the ball doesn't come too close to the mic and create excess noise.