Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets see some firearms

Savage makes the Axis in .223. I've got one in .308, and like it a lot for the price. Shoots a 1" group at 100 yards when the shooter's having a good day.

My father in law also has a Savage in a .223, not sure if it was an axis or not.

RIP Mikhail Kalashnikov. Died today at 94 after a long illness.

tbh I thought he already passed away years ago, never knew he was still alive

probably the most influential firearms designer in history thus far
    Last edited by ElPanda; 12-23-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post

he influenced a generation, but not the most. John Browning did more where there was nothing than Kalashnikov making his AK. hell, he only made the AK with only the AK-74 being the only change(RPKs don't count IMO), were Browning did everything from pistols to machine guns, improving and innovating.

- - - Updated - - -

he influenced a generation, but not the most. John Browning did more where there was nothing than Kalashnikov making his AK. hell, he only made the AK with only the AK-74 being the only change(RPKs don't count IMO), were Browning did everything from pistols to machine guns, improving and innovating.

I too am a huge fan of John Browning and I would pick him as my number one gun designer, but you have to give huge credit to Kalashnikov and the success of his designs. Heck it's been put on the flags of countries!

he was successful and the gun is elegant in its simplicity and reliability. but you might say that the development ran parallel to the STG.43 with the use of the Kurz or short ammo, the design and even with the layout. i am not arguing that he stole the design, but i will safely say that made it what it is today. simple gun that works and works, and a gun that has been produced nearer to the billions, which is amazing in itself. the weapon has made a huge impact, but it is not ground breaking. he was a man who took designs and worked on them to get them to work with the worst possible tolerances and in the worst possible conditions.

but to honor him as a great designer. no, he fall short in that respect. he made one design, and though he modified it slightly over the past 40 years with a few changes and he is heralded. when people like Browning, Eugene Stoner(the father of the M16/M4), Samuel Colt, Hiram Maxim(made the first true automatic machine gun), Richard Gatling and all those people that actually built things where there were none before, to actually make something that was thought of, but those people got it to work.

- - - Updated - - -

he was successful and the gun is elegant in its simplicity and reliability. but you might say that the development ran parallel to the STG.43 with the use of the Kurz or short ammo, the design and even with the layout. i am not arguing that he stole the design, but i will safely say that made it what it is today. simple gun that works and works, and a gun that has been produced nearer to the billions, which is amazing in itself. the weapon has made a huge impact, but it is not ground breaking. he was a man who took designs and worked on them to get them to work with the worst possible tolerances and in the worst possible conditions.

but to honor him as a great designer. no, he fall short in that respect. he made one design, and though he modified it slightly over the past 40 years with a few changes and he is heralded. when people like Browning, Eugene Stoner(the father of the M16/M4), Samuel Colt, Hiram Maxim(made the first true automatic machine gun), Richard Gatling and all those people that actually built things where there were none before, to actually make something that was thought of, but those people got it to work.

I'm sure Mikhail would say "design perfect for need". Was he a great inventor of many things? Nah, but he was a great perfecter of one thing that's lasted longer than most designs.

Duffleblog is already reporting "Dead AK-47 Inventor To Be Buried In Mud For A Week, Cleaned Off, Then Put Back To Work".

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/12/mi...ashnikov-dead/

got my S&W 686 on order

also when I said Kalashnikov was influential I meant in the sense of his firearms overwhelming prevalence in the conflicts over the latter half of the 20th century

I can agree that Browning was a superior designer
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

got my S&W 686 on order

also when I said Kalashnikov was influential I meant in the sense of his firearms overwhelming prevalence in the conflicts over the latter half of the 20th century

I can agree that Browning was a superior designer
    not to belabor the point, but the prevalence is due to the simplicity, and that was what Kalashnikov was great for or saw(do to having poor/peasant based military that was well, simple as the gun at times) a need for. but he miself said that though he will always be remembered for making the AK, he detested to see it as a symbol in every conflict, whether on the side of "good" or "bad". it was a tool, but a tool for killing. plus, for as prevalent as it was, he made nothing for the near billions of his weapon.