Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kryptonite Axe Grip

There is a guy over on pbnation that is talking about doing the same project and he found a way to use a 9v with the stock board in a round grip. Maybe you guys could do some collaborating? It seems like he would be looking for someone that could make it, or just give the files away to whoever wants them.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4043738

Oh hai.

Yeah, my objective was to keep the stock board. I have contacted deadly winds to see if they'd be interested in making one in carbon fiber. The problem is that most people won't buy it just for the ergonomics, but add the marketing power of carbon fiber and it may be a winner. I don't want to try to source all of it out either... too much trouble for a small return. I could do a 3d print for pretty cheap as a proof of concept, but much after that wouldn't be worth my time or effort. Ydna, Simon or someone like that is a far better candidate to bring an idea like this to market IMO. I'd volunteer to help Skibbo, but his design revolves around an aftermarket board.

Not only that, but I'd like someone to verify that the board programming will work with the axe/ mini noid. IIRC, it does something different to the noid to get it to seal.

His initial design was using the DNA board but more of us showed interest in the stock board. Not much different from his design just space for the stock board to be used.

Supports Inception Designs
    stock board would be more than fine. Just figured the DNA board would allow a bit more space/freedom to move things around because of the size of it. I'm up for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
    Oh hai.

Yeah, my objective was to keep the stock board. I have contacted deadly winds to see if they'd be interested in making one in carbon fiber. The problem is that most people won't buy it just for the ergonomics, but add the marketing power of carbon fiber and it may be a winner. I don't want to try to source all of it out either... too much trouble for a small return. I could do a 3d print for pretty cheap as a proof of concept, but much after that wouldn't be worth my time or effort. Ydna, Simon or someone like that is a far better candidate to bring an idea like this to market IMO. I'd volunteer to help Skibbo, but his design revolves around an aftermarket board.

Not only that, but I'd like someone to verify that the board programming will work with the axe/ mini noid. IIRC, it does something different to the noid to get it to seal.
    Quote Originally Posted by WholemealDrop View Post
    His initial design was using the DNA board but more of us showed interest in the stock board. Not much different from his design just space for the stock board to be used.
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

stock board would be more than fine. Just figured the DNA board would allow a bit more space/freedom to move things around because of the size of it. I'm up for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
    Oh hai.

Quote Originally Posted by WholemealDrop View Post

Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by skibbo View Post
    Let's design something then... I honestly think the only way it'll sell is if it's carbon fiber. That actually isn't so bad as long as the very top and bottom are aluminum. We have to find a way to fit the board mounting sub-structure inside a carbon tube. My suggestion is to find a carbon fiber tube and just design a few machine parts to work around it... like maybe you unscrew the bottom and pull the carbon tube down to expose the board and battery. Then the only real production pieces are pretty simple. The trick is that the battery plug in is at the bottom of the board which severely limits how the battery can be inserted.

Also, the CAD program I have only sends .ad_prt (alibre) files. December 31st they're giving everyone with cubify design ($200) a free upgrade to geomagic design elements ($999) and it handles more file outputs. Off topic, but anyone who wants a pretty powerful CAD software for cheap should hop on that deal.

Glad to see the wheels turning on this. As long it is cylinder shaped and takes 9v batteries consider one sold to me. I would be happy with either aluminum or carbon fiber.

I'm thinking something similar to the DW mag foregrips
    Have a mount for the board go on the rod (if it's kept the same) and just slide the 9V in there as well. Would just need to change up the top half to be able to mount it to a Mini/Axe.

Combine that with a Nummech style foregrip extender (Ydna hit that design on the head) and I think it'd look pretty nice.

DW mag foregrip

Ydna/Nummech grip extender, round the front more to fit a tube profile/screw attachment point and I think it'd look pretty nice.

Would be interested to see if one of the DYE membrane style pads would work with the board w/out major modifications. Would be nice to not have to drill too many holes in the CF foregrip
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by skibbo; 11-16-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Still need to figure out top section, that will house the 9V battery. Nothing else fits otherwise.

1" OD x 4" Lg. CF tube, countersunk reveal holes for LED and power button (can you countersink into CF?)
    Board held in by top section and groove in lower section, as well as screw force.

I found some pretty nice carbon tubes here: http://www.carbonfibertubeshop.com/large%20tubing.html To answer your question, yes it can be countersunk as well if you search for it RC car guys do it commonly.

Since it'd be a lot more cost prohibitive to design a tube then I think off the shelf is best. I found that I needed a MIN ID of 1.125" and that leaves almost no room for battery variation. To be safe, I suggest we design around a 1.37" OD tube with a 1.25" ID. The way I see it the tube would be notched for the dovetail joint (and all the way down to the bottom button and would slide up from the bottom. Then the bottom cap could be knurled to untwist from the aluminum sub-structure by hand, allow the tube to slide down and the battery to be replaced easily. It wouldn't look as good, but it would be a heck of a lot more functional and much better price if we can simplify the substructure. The board has to mount to something.