Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kryptonite valve dimensions; some aftermarket valves won't fit in the bodies

Unhappy Kryptonite valve dimensions; some aftermarket valves won't fit in the bodies

I was fortunate enough to get one of the Kryptonite bodies Simon had at World Cup.

I really want to use an AKA Tornado valve in the gun since it's the only full bodied 2k+ cocker I own. However, I was surprised to find the ID of the valve chamber is too small for the Tornado valve. It will not go past the jam nut threads, even with the WGP valve oring removed. A couple other aftermarket valves will not fit either. Luckily I had an ANS valve laying around and it fit nicely. I've wanted to modify the ANS valve for awhile to make it more efficient, so the body finally gave me a good reason to do so. But I'd like to use the Tornado valve without sanding it down.

What are my options guys?

PS: WGP valves also fit in the body, and I believe I read that Simon's Sniper used a Belsales valve. I'm willing to bet most valves will fit, but be aware that some might not.

I know with the Supercharger valve it was tight but nothing a little dow33 and thinner cupseal o-rings couldn't fix.

Just wondering is the valve body sliding in at all?
    If it is you should be able to use the valve tool to apply a little pressure to get the valve in.
    If it not sliding in at all, you might have other issues.

P.S. Do you have a second AKA valve to test with?

I have had some bodies that my AKA Tornado Valves won't go in.

AKA Tornadoes were always a bit on the beefier side. Not sure if AKA held a tighter tolerance so they made them bigger, or it was spec'd wrong. I had a 2k4 body that took a dowel and a hammer to get it into, but when I tried to remove it I realized that was a stupid plan :P
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Its a 2k4 body. Cut the body away from the valve and replace it for $10 lol.

wait... the Tornado won't fit? I just dissected another project to put the Tornado in my Kryptonite >_<

can somebody that has a Kyptonite throw some calipers inside? or Simon, do you know the dimension of the valve chamber off hand?

tornados were always tight. Some valves it was just the oring holding it up, might be worth trying for anyone that has a tight valve is pull the oring off of the valve and see if the valve falls into place. if not you will require machining to get it in there. machining the valve outside diameter would easier than trying to open up the body a few thou.

Quote Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
    I know with the Supercharger valve it was tight but nothing a little dow33 and thinner cupseal o-rings couldn't fix.

Just wondering is the valve body sliding in at all?
    If it is you should be able to use the valve tool to apply a little pressure to get the valve in.
    If it not sliding in at all, you might have other issues.

P.S. Do you have a second AKA valve to test with?
    The valve body, by itself (no oring or even valve stem), will not go past the jam nut threads. And I won't hammer this valve into the body. I shouldn't have to do that on a body that just set me back $250.

I do have a couple more AKA valves to test but they are in my V1 Revenges and VLMs. I'm almost certain they have an even larger OD though, since their valves are from around 1999. AKA started making their valves with a slightly smaller OD in 2000 to fit WGP's new 2k bodies, and mine is one of those valves according to Larry from AKA.

Quote Originally Posted by TierOneJeff View Post
    wait... the Tornado won't fit? I just dissected another project to put the Tornado in my Kryptonite >_<
    Nope, you're out of luck. A Tornado valve will not fit without something being modified. Just Be happy you didn't spend $70 on a new Tornado valve and then another $250 on a body (plus all the other parts I ordered) to find out it's pretty much useless to you.

Quote Originally Posted by daveczrn View Post
    tornados were always tight. Some valves it was just the oring holding it up, might be worth trying for anyone that has a tight valve is pull the oring off of the valve and see if the valve falls into place. if not you will require machining to get it in there. machining the valve outside diameter would easier than trying to open up the body a few thou.
    Yeah, I figured some machine work would need to be done. Unfortunately I hold the Tornado valve in higher regard than the Inception body. So if anything is going under the knife it will be the body.

And has anyone else noticed QC problems with the cosmetics of the bodies? Mine came with a few notable scuffs under the anodizing that are clearly visible, plus one place where it appears the mill slipped and cut into the windows of my body.

I'd really like to hear what Simon thinks about this. I thought he would have been here by now.

Mill slipped? That doesn't make sense.

Send it back and I will replace it if you aren't happy with the finish. I did see one that had a bad finish that wasn't caught by the guys that did the surface finish and anodizing that I held back.

I am tweaking the code on the next run to ensure that doesn't happen again.

I'll stand behind the bodies 100% so if you don't like it return it and I will send you back your money.

The bodies are made from stock WGP bodies. The internal bores and fit are all 100% stock WGP. I don't do anything that would affect the internal bores at all.

Can you put a mic on the AKA valve and see what it's outside diameter is?