Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halo Smartguide

Halo Smartguide

Hey Simon, have you read about this gentleman's invention?

Seems like something interesting.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/p...uide-halo.html

Yep, I saw his posts and videos over on PBNation too.

When I had my Invert Too, I couldn't use it in the winter because of how badly it broke paint.

How will this keep from breaking the same amount of paint?

The Invert Halo Too isn't a good design for dealing with fragile paint.

The main issue is the paddle system. Swapping it for an S4 drive cone or similar paddle design that cups the ball and doesn't point load the balls will make a huge difference in how it handles gentle paint.

I believe the system from Xeon is designed to reduce jams, but since it also has my paddle and drive carrier design incorporated into it, it will also likely be more gentle on the paint than the Invert Halo Too paddle.

Their drive system releases and reverses the paddle at a certain torque level. I don't know how that level compares to the shut off point of the original electronics, or the slip point of a clutch system so I can't tell if the force it puts on the paintball will be more or less than those systems and thus if it is more or less likely to break paint.

It is a cool concept for clearing jams, and I think that was their primary goal so that the loaders would work better with reballs. Reballs suck (and their knocks offs are worse) when trying to force feed them in loaders.

Why was the Too so bad with fragile paint?

Also, why are reballs so terrible when force feeding? I've seen plenty of people have issues with them.

Mainly the paddle design. It's a rigid paddle with small "prongs" depending on now the balls stop in the stack that prong can be driven around with enough force to pierce the ball if you are using fragile paint. The paddles of the other drive carriers are shaped to match the surface contours of the ball so they don't "point" load one spot, but instead spread the forces over a larger area making them far less likely to push through or damage a paintball.

Reballs inherently have so much more friction than the gelatin surfaces of real paintballs. When you have them stacked on top of each other it makes it harder to move them around, and then don't slide past the parts of the hopper so easily. Because they deform they sometimes seem to work like slicks on a car, getting an even better grip the more you push on them.

I've heard of people soaking their reballs in gun oil before using them. Good/Bad idea?

Bad. Oil on the surface of a ball makes them fly funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The Invert Halo Too isn't a good design for dealing with fragile paint.

The main issue is the paddle system. Swapping it for an S4 drive cone or similar paddle design that cups the ball and doesn't point load the balls will make a huge difference in how it handles gentle paint.

I believe the system from Xeon is designed to reduce jams, but since it also has my paddle and drive carrier design incorporated into it, it will also likely be more gentle on the paint than the Invert Halo Too paddle.

Their drive system releases and reverses the paddle at a certain torque level. I don't know how that level compares to the shut off point of the original electronics, or the slip point of a clutch system so I can't tell if the force it puts on the paintball will be more or less than those systems and thus if it is more or less likely to break paint.

It is a cool concept for clearing jams, and I think that was their primary goal so that the loaders would work better with reballs. Reballs suck (and their knocks offs are worse) when trying to force feed them in loaders.
    From the beginning I tried to solve the issue with reball and as you say is force feed loader generally bad for reball. With Smartguide we solved the issue by limit the torque which the motor can transfer and also use the loaded spring to reverse the rotor with a very silent solution. We can also feed brittle paint as you can see in the video. Actually is the paint too brittle to play with and is only used in this demo.

Hello Daniel and welcome to my forums.

I do like the videos and the way you designed the drive system to reverse under a jam condition. Very cool.