Thread: question for machinists

question for machinists

removing material from stainless steel... not a lot. Doable by hand or machine only? I'm talking sanding/grinding .007" off of a cylinder. surface finish isn't critical, as long as it isn't jagged.

thx.

.007" isnt alot. I take about that off cylinders everyday to just get them flat. but I also have access to the correct machinery for it. I would suggest going and getting a good manual block sander and just taking your time with varrying desgrees of rough to smooth sandpaper.

something like this: http://3mcollision.com/media/catalog.../0/5/05209.jpg

for a really nice finish get a lightly abrasive scotch brite pad and some wd-40 and the surface will go to a dull polish that's perfect for gaskets

oh, wait... an engine cylinder or a cylinder of stainless

the thought hit me "why would an engines cylinder be stainless... DUH"

Insider
    I think he's asking about an AKA tornado valve.

Quote Originally Posted by bbotts77 View Post
    I think he's asking about an AKA tornado valve.
    indeed. I want to drop the diameter of my Tornado .007/.008 to fit inside my Kyrptonite. I have a Freeflow valve I can use in the interim, but my preference is the Tornado. if I junk the Tornado I can still use the gun.... if I brick the body trying to ream the hole, I am boned.

I will look at that block sander thx.

Insider
    I'm not exactly a machinist but something I've found that works well to take small amounts of material off round objects is a drill of some sort. Try taking the guide section of the valve and snug it up in the chuck (not too tight so you don't bend it out of round, being stainless that would be hard but I supposed possible) then without a lot of pressure sand the valve while the drill is on. I prefer cordless drills with a trigger as opposed to a drill press with a switch as you can slow it down with a little pressure release. I've found this to work on things like bolts in DM's. My buddy had a DM bolt where towards the tip of the bolt it had been cut into the detents so much it wouldn't seal up well, I was able to keep a nice round profile and remove the majority of the scratches/cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Pro View Post
    I'm not exactly a machinist but something I've found that works well to take small amounts of material off round objects is a drill of some sort. Try taking the guide section of the valve and snug it up in the chuck (not too tight so you don't bend it out of round, being stainless that would be hard but I supposed possible) then without a lot of pressure sand the valve while the drill is on. I prefer cordless drills with a trigger as opposed to a drill press with a switch as you can slow it down with a little pressure release. I've found this to work on things like bolts in DM's. My buddy had a DM bolt where towards the tip of the bolt it had been cut into the detents so much it wouldn't seal up well, I was able to keep a nice round profile and remove the majority of the scratches/cuts.
    Thanks, I think that's the route I am going to try and take... looks like I have my weekend project. I am off now to get me some sandpaper(s) to make some magic... aka DESTRUCTION.

Wanted to post a quick, yet heartfelt thanks to all my Inception compatriots. Thanks to suggestions and a couple beers.... My Tornado is now .568 and safely installed deep in the bowls of my Kryptonite E2 pitbull. She will be blind until my eyes come but I cannot wait to get her on the field.

Sounds great.

Did you just hold it in the drill by the smaller diameter end and then spin it inside some fine wet and dry? Probably wouldn't take much to bring it down.

I did just that, but I actually had to use a file and spun the valve against the file to take the bulk of the tolerance off then 2 grades of wet/dry to clean it up and get it closer. I settled on .568. It was snug but went in without a fight.

I was careful not to over tighten the chuck so I didn't deform where the valve stem passed.

Rinsed and dried everything thoroughly to clean shavings and dust and pulled it all together.

Thanks again for the advice guys.