Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Threading and Oring gland help

Wait a minute... I'd suppose bolt switch orings can't really be floating style either due to the leak over. Right?

Last time I plan on revisiting this, but I'm still having issues with a bolt switch oring. Should I just use a normal parker oring spec and accept the high friction or is there some general guideline you guys can recommend for these? Geez oring fitment is a PITA.

Insider
    Last time I plan on revisiting this, but I'm still having issues with a bolt switch oring. Should I just use a normal parker oring spec and accept the high friction or is there some general guideline you guys can recommend for these? Geez oring fitment is a PITA.
    Don't use the Parker or ANSI spec. Make it looser. I have found that you can get a good seal (with some pressure, say 50 psi+) on a setup that actually feels like it won't seal. The o-ring generally squishes to fit even then. I can go look on my CAD, but we played a round with that a bit.

For the width I went with about a .079" (2mm) or so gap, with .073 being the tightest I would go.

But I am not the expert here - and there is a decent range you can play with, so there is no hard answer. You might have to play with it a bit to get what you want.

What size o-ring is it?
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

-017 right now, but may need to step down to a metric

Insider
    I don't have any sliding O-rings that big....

If you switch to metric, I wouldn't drop below a 1.5mm. Smaller than that and you are likely to roll and cut the o-ring. That is the one big fail of the Vanguard Demon, the 23x1mm O-rings didn't handle the action more than 10,000 cycles.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

It's a bolt switch oring on a spool marker. The last one I did for DocWho was no bueno.