Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RAP4's got some cease and desist letters to write (DMAG patent infringement)

RAP4's got some cease and desist letters to write (DMAG patent infringement)

Well first congrats to them for getting there first ...RAP4 completed their patent request for a multiple stack magazine (I think its just a design Patent, not a utility Patent.. but I'm not a patent attorney.. so i don't know). The fates of the SAR12 project and DYE DAM are up to the lawyers i guess. I don't know if the Stark Zetamag falls into this because its a different axis.

I attached the patent:----->Capture.jpg

and the link is:------------->http://patents.uspto.gov/web/patents...-20131112.html

The good i think this could bring is a standardized mag design (much like a feedneck) where company's can produce new markers and the mags will be interchangeable. The bad, IP lawsuits and another stalemate in the evolution of our sport.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmareinc View Post
    The bad, IP lawsuits and another stalemate in the evolution of our sport.

What do you guys think?
    smart parts...

I was under the impression Carmatech already had a patent on that magazine design... Hmm, if not that could really be a huge blow for them...

As far as Dye is considered, I say good luck to RAP in that one... SP went after them long ago with little success. And SP was a larger company then... Of course they were infringing on Dye's patent with the Ion, so that was probably the game changer there... Regardless considering Dye is one of the biggest companies in paintball, and has divisions outside of paintball; I wouldn't worry about Dye's legal department one bit.

With all that said, I really don't like RAP as a company whatsoever. Poor quality control and support for suppliers has really put a black mark on them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    smart parts...
    my thoughts exactly!!

Quote Originally Posted by NOFXkid2005 View Post
    I was under the impression Carmatech already had a patent on that magazine design...
    RAP4 submitted it a few weeks or so before them and with that said they were working with mag feed systems all the way back in 05. I would even suggest that they were the one of the first if not the first to really "PUSH" magfeed markers. But i do undersatnd your distaste for the customer and product support, but they have come a long way.

Supports Inception Designs
    I doubt that this patent will bring about a 'standard' magazine design. It's up to RAP4 if they want to charge for licensing of the patent, and how much to charge.

One of my employee's point out a good counter to this situation.. All a company needs to do is just make a marker that uses the "Mag well" that excepts the DMAG. With the mag only being like $6.99, Profits are in the gun design. Plus the patent is for the "mag" not the "well".

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmareinc View Post
    One of my employee's point out a good counter to this situation.. All a company needs to do is just make a marker that uses the "Mag well" that excepts the DMAG. With the mag only being like $6.99, Profits are in the gun design. Plus the patent is for the "mag" not the "well".
    That would be great. My biggest problem into getting into magfed is how expensive mags are. If we could standardize this, I think a ton more people would get into magfed. That would also be great for all the companies involved, as they could get a ton more customers.

i don't play mag feed because i have never seen a magfed gun that actually worked.

last year at living ledgends watching the mag feed games, i watched a kid in a tee shirt and shorts, with a tigershark, kill everyone on the other team like 4 games in a row, because his gun actually worked.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i don't play mag feed because i have never seen a magfed gun that actually worked.
    This.

One reason I like my FN303. It works.