Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever successfully molded polycarbonate?

Wayne
    Didn't the Prism barrels get cloudy pretty quickly?

Supports Inception Designs
    The main barrel tube would have a 1" OD and a 3/4 ID throughout. Insert would have the ID you want and a 3/4" or slightly larger (not sure what threads you're cutting) OD to fit snug. Can have it run just a few inches down the bore.

Otherwise treat it like a Carbon fiber barrel. Aluminum back /polycarbonate front. Rear is control bore, 1" OD stock, main barrel is 11/16 ID by anything with can find <1" OD.

bore 1" stock to accept polycarbonate front, thread for marker threads on opposite end.

We have a local here who made up a couple...can't remember if they were full barrels or just tips. They were EXTREMELY quiet, but they clouded up really fast, like one day of x-ball fast.

Birmingham, UK (originally a Seattle native)
    Huh, I wonder why. They would certainly be interesting to see!

skibbo - Sounds like a good idea. I may well nick it.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh, I wonder why. They would certainly be interesting to see!

skibbo - Sounds like a good idea. I may well nick it.

Blame the new guy........ delliverance's Avatar
    Have you tried contacting Bayer directly about their poly-carbonate (Makrolon)? I found them incredibly helpful in past production. At one point in time they were producing poly carbonate tubing for the food industry. I have vacuum molded poly carbonate, works well as long as you pre-cook it to avoid bubbles forming during molding.

Blame the new guy........ delliverance's Avatar
    The clouding would be due to fine scratches, if you look at poly carbonate wrong it scratches, unless it has a scratch resistant coating.

And then the problem with polycarbonate after it scratches is that they tend to propagate and cause failure I have a love/hate relationship with polycarbonate as a material.