Thread: Colour match question - Axe, Sniper, Resurrection

Colour match question - Axe, Sniper, Resurrection

Does the grey Sniper/Resurrection barrel tip match the silver/grey Axe? Just in terms of color, obviously it'd have to mount to the backs.

Darn. Not a huge deal, but would have been nice. I might pick up a grey front anyway just to get somewhat close.

Simon, do metal manufacturers use standardized colour schemes? If I were to get a shirt manufactured, or order a swatch for upholstery, I could specify a Pantone number.

Can you do that with metal products or is a "make it grey" and we can paint it later if needed situation.

Were you checking because anodizing/painting is inconvenient? Or was it because you would not know how to get an exact match?

I was wondering because I have an all black 5-bore barrel kit that came with my black Resurrection. I've got a grey Axe on the way, and was thinking it'd be nice to match the barrel tip to the gun, and the colors look fairly close. If they were dead on, it would be worth the $25-30 to pick up a new tip. Maybe.

Every once in a while people will try to have me quote something per some kind of color standard but I always fight them over it. Even if there is such a thing, there's just so many variables that can affect it that there's truly no point in trying. That's not to say you can't have something color-matched by a competent shop if they have a sample in hand...that's much more doable. And there are indeed color/luster(re) measurement equipment you can buy but such a thing has a very specific use.

Going between countries where environmental standards are very different only makes it worse. That's the way it is all the way back to the foundry, since buying a particular brand of aluminum can vary just from batch to batch, all the way down to the final color. It might all fall under the same Alumium-6061-T6511 but there's other differences not even accounted in that specification. Drives me mad! If you look hard enough there's ANSI/ISO specs for everything...I had a guy one time ask that I sandblast something per the "ANSI-16D specification". come to find out later he was thinking of some kind of specific qualification used by the hydraulics industry for cleaning sand castings, and probably wanted to sound cool by quoting some nonexistant qualification over email...

In theory there are pantones that allow you to spec a colour, but the reality when it comes to finishing metals or plastics is that it's only any good for getting close.

You can have the exact same material and a polished or textured finish (in metal or plastic) and the colour will look different. You end up having different pantones with different materials and finishes to get them to look the same.

Ultimately you end up picking a part and finish you are happy with and asking the other vendors to "match" it.

It's even harder with anodizing as the colour doesn't just come from the type of dye used, it's also the metal finish and the time in the bath etc. It's almost impossible to match things without spending a lot of time and money and being a PITA.

This is one reason some gun manufacturers have two toned guns. So they never have the same colour next to itself on a different piece of metal. Makes life a LOT simpler.

Ydna/Simon, thanks that was interesting. Love you story, Ydna, I will have to start making up standards and asking vendors about them just for fun.