Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freak Barrel tip thread spec

I forgot about how Smart Parts liked to make different threads for each gun and make it harder for other companies to make barrels.

I had a buddy that was trying to make a freak tip adapter (some of you may have seen the freak-to-freak picture I posted last year). I had him using my shop to make the part by hand....he went ahead and bought a die to cut the threads, used my cocker tap on the inside, made the rest of the piece and threaded the outside....then found out it didn't screw in. He came up to me looking like a sad puppy and asked why it didn't fit and if it was multi-lead...I was like YES IT'S MULTI LEAD WHY YOU NO ASK!?!?
    Anyway I ended up making the outside of the adapter for him then he took it and finished the inside for the second time. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I forgot about how Smart Parts liked to make different threads for each gun and make it harder for other companies to make barrels.
    From my outsider point of view, they appeared to move in a better direction when they realized how good the "Ion" pattern was and, began to use it as the "Smart Parts" pattern. Unfortunately, they went under shortly afterwards. I'm no engineer but, I love that thread pattern, good robust threads, multi-lead, and a low number of turns. As someone who has just recently started using autococker threads, I suspect that if Smart Parts adopted "Ion" thread pattern earlier on, it may have overcome the autococker pattern in popularity.

They actually used it on Impulses back in 2000. But they also maintained Shocker threads (16tpi DL) throughout the Shocker SFT days until 2006.

I think the end result is other companies were as stubborn about their autococker compatibility as SP was about trying to push a better threadform AGAINST compatibility.