Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Flex / I-4 (rant)

Exactly the reason I won't buy another JT mask. Had a Pro Flex back in the day and had to change the lens. Never again, indeed.

Insider
    Over the years I became a bit of a mask whore.
    Ive had pretty much all of them and I keep going back to my VForce Grillz.
    Its light, offers lots of protection and easy to change lenses and foam.

- - - Updated - - -

Over the years I became a bit of a mask whore.
    Ive had pretty much all of them and I keep going back to my VForce Grillz.
    Its light, offers lots of protection and easy to change lenses and foam.

I've owned all but the I4's as my jaw hung below the bottom of the mask. They all had their problems and good things. the bottom line is to have protection you need more coverage, and the higher end mask limit protection for a lighter mask that gives more freedom of motion. With half of the manufactures making a lower end that has more coverage it comes down to what the consumer wants.

trick with the lens changes on the proflex's is to not be gentle with trying to remove the lens, start with the top and work your way around. invisions trick is to use a small screw driver to get the lens out. as long as your not trying to keep the lens you will be fine. you need to stretch the holes alittle so that it is easier to remove next time.

I tried my backup Empire Avatar on again yesterday and it covers more ear than the Eflex or I4.
    Was going to get rid of it but changed my mind.
    endeavor to persevere.......

I like the Avatars for use with a mic and ear bud. Anything with a separate ear piece is too tight and really make a difference if you take a shot on that side. That said, I dislike all the Vents goggles. Something about the lens has a distortion that gives me a headache after I wear too long. I don't know why, it's the only mask that does it. And I dislike the retention system, I've seen too many lenses crack near the tabs that hold it on. I can make a list of reasons I hated the Helix model though. But it was the best deal for a thermal lens in a goggle for $30. Top recommendation I'd give to new players.

Personally, I've tried several different masks on the market. I've worn my Invisions until they fell apart, bought a set of i3's and still wear them some. Because I am not a loud person, I switched to a Proflex for tourney play so my voice could be heard somewhat better. Lens swaps is a pain, but that's why I have two sets of frames for both masks just in case I need to be fast.

Had a set of i4's, but they are too small for my face. I liked the lens and visibility but my entire jaw would show and the band was too tight, again giving me a headache. Foam was awesome, so I bought some to put on my Proflex since it was literally falling apart. Everyone wanting the smallest profile mask got it with the i4. Dye gave people what they wanted.

Vforce too way too long to give us thermal lenses. I like the fit of both the Grill and Profiler but I dislike the extra cost of having to buy a thermal lens for them. Should come with the mask.

For forehead protection I wear a pair of headbands. My field owner in Texas made custom headbands that fit PSP rules and had some decent padding across the forehead with a piece of mircofiber that sat against your forehead that you could use for cleaning if you needed. On top of that I wear a Shocktech headband to match my gun.

I find the price of many of the goggle systems to be outrageous though. Much like the loader prices we are getting into.

Apologies for possibly dragging us off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I have a couple of great goggle concepts I want to work on again someday but the investment needed to make a goggle is HUGE.
    I have a mask thing I want to do that I do not want to reveal too publicly yet. Made a connection with one guy at an established paintball company who said we could make two lines of a mask, one incorporating my goals for a mere $250,000 USD more than I have and another line producing the regular mask they want to make one day. Thought it is 2013 (it was at the time) surely we can do low volume manufacturing of anything so I am trying.

Not there yet, but there is potential. If interested PM or email me and I will send you the contact info for the places I talked to and their level of confidence in being able to do it. All of them were at least "Maybe, need to see the design". Mine would be for a specific niche and in my first year I would expect to sell 50, but keep selling more as time goes on. I realize for you it would be a big scale thing, however at a lower cost than normal you could potentially get some goggles of your idea out there. This might help you get the product made at an affordable cost. A good starting point for when you want to go full scale or show someone else there is an interest.

Checked with an ASTM lab and passing the certification is expensive but far less so than I worried it could be. The lab was very helpful giving me advice and warnings to heed before getting them to test anything.

May be posting for help soon. Anyone who is a mask expert please feel free to contact me. :-)

Anyway, Simon, there are some new amazing ways companies make stuff. If interested in seeing my list and seeing if they can help you make it affordable please just contact me. I hope you do because I would be very interested in seeing what you come up with and probably owning one. (My own mask design is not meant for me.)

Just a (long) note in response to Simon's goggle concept comment on the off chance my info could help him. Not meaning to hijack here. Now back to our regularly scheduled E-Flex/I-4 rant.

I like my i4 for the simple fact that it doesn't fog up as bad as my eflex.

I had not been dinged anywhere in the face to warrant any sort of complaints about coverage with the i4.

The eflex for whatever reason fogs up more easily than even my single paned grill (to be honest doesn't fog up that much, maybe once in a blue moon), foam shifts after a few uses, soft ears fray too easily, retention tabs are easily lost, and my gosh the horns that are on the bottom needs an xacto knife clean up job. Same issues on 2 eflex, the first one was rma after 3months, I'm on the second one, have not rma it yet since the i4 took over for it about 5 months ago and with my new proflex it's just chilling at home doing nothing.

But by far my favorite extensively used masks (have only used the proflex once at a tournament, and it was back a month ago): i4 and the grill

Both are great lens change wise, very easy and simple, if I had to give an edge to one mask it would be the grill.
    Both didn't have the ventilation or coverage of any flex mask, which was quite regrettable. However, coverage I have not a reason to complain about yet.
    Foam wise I like my grill over i4, quicker drying and replaceable which is quite nice.
    Ear wise, like the soft ear on the i4, but they fray too easily. And, after too much abuse the grill's rubber will rip.

If I were to create an ideal mask with today's paintball technology it would be i4/vio lens(grill would be a close second), with lens secured using clips similar to those on the grill, foam replaceable like those on the grill/vio, foam texture like on the flex, revo ears, flex bottoms (or eflex)

I have not tried the vio or klr yet

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    A friend of mine suckered me into changing the lens in his i3 Pro. Once. I bled. Never again.
    lol.................................

I have to say the E-Flex has good venting, which also means being able to communicate easier with team mates, (both knocks against the Grill, hard to communicate, poor venting).

But I lost another one of those tiny pieces (theres two that hold each ear side to the strap, and one holds each ear from flipping up) .

So I'm bailing on the E-Flex even though I do like it, I just dont want to have to have extra parts to keep it functional.

Tried the new Virtue mask on, and I tried to buy one at the same store I bought the E-Flex at, Wicked Sports, (I dont buy new very often but when I do I try to support the local brick and mortars) they had plenty of them, just no all black ones, and no one in the surrounding area did either, most stores had none at all.

Ebay has one on the way though.

Update pending.

endeavor to persevere.......

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    I have to say the E-Flex has good venting, which also means being able to communicate easier with team mates, (both knocks against the Grill, hard to communicate, poor venting).

But I lost another one of those tiny pieces (theres two that hold each ear side to the strap, and one holds each ear from flipping up) .

So I'm bailing on the E-Flex even though I do like it, I just dont want to have to have extra parts to keep it functional.

Tried the new Virtue mask on, and I tried to buy one at the same store I bought the E-Flex at, Wicked Sports, (I dont buy new very often but when I do I try to support the local brick and mortars) they had plenty of them, just no all black ones, and no one in the surrounding area did either, most stores had none at all.

Ebay has one on the way though.

Update pending.

They look sweet, foam feels good on the face. I may need to treat myself on my birthday lol

Dibs on black frame, black bottoms with white accents.